Linear Algebra Problem: Solving for T in F(R) with Given Functions

In summary, the given data determines the following:T(e^{5x}) = x^{2}T(3e^{4x}) = 3sinxT(3+5e^{3x}) = 3cos5x + 5sinxT(\frac{e^{4x}+2e^{5x}}{e^{2x}}) = T(\frac{e^{4x}}{e^{2x}}+\frac{2e^{5x}}{e^{2x}}) = 2x^{2} + 2sinx
Nothing000
Let F be the vector space of all functions mapping [tex] R [/tex] into [tex] R [/tex], and let [tex]T:F\rightarrow F[/tex] be a linear transformation such that [tex]T(e^{2x})=x^{2}[/tex], [tex] T(e^{3x})=sinx[/tex], and [tex]T(1)=cos5x[/tex]. Find the following, if it is determined by this data.

[tex]T(e^{5x})[/tex]
[tex]T(3e^{4x})[/tex]
[tex]T(3+5e^{3x})[/tex]
[tex]T(\frac{e^{4x}+2e^{5x}}{e^{2x}})[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what to do here. Does this involve the kernel of T?

Nothing000 said:
I have no idea what to do here. Does this involve the kernel of T?

Try using the properties of a linear transformation: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LinearTransformation.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
So am I supposed to factor out the [tex]e^{x}[/tex] term like this

[tex]T(e^{3x})=sinx[/tex]
[tex]e^{x}T(e^{2x})=sinx[/tex]
[tex]T(e^{2x})=\frac{sinx}{e^{x}}[/tex]

and since [tex]T(e^{2x})=x^{2}[/tex]

it must be true that [tex]\frac{sinx}{e^{x}}=x^{2}[/tex]

Am I on the right track?

Oh wait, that can't be right, because [tex]e^{x}[/tex]
is not a constant. Duh. :rolleyes:

So the only one that I actually can figure out is
[tex]T(3+5e^{3x})[/tex]
since it is preserved by scaler multiplication and vector addition. Right?

[tex]T(3+5e^{3x})=T(3)+T(5e^{3x})[/tex]

[tex]\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ =3T(1)+5T(e^{3x})[/tex]

[tex]\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ =3cos5x+5sinx[/tex]

Is that right?

Last edited:
Yes, looks okay. Hint regarding the last one: [tex]T(\frac{e^{4x}+2e^{5x}}{e^{2x}}) = T(\frac{e^{4x}}{e^{2x}}+\frac{2e^{5x}}{e^{2x}})[/tex].

Last edited:
[tex]T(\frac{e^{4x}+2e^{5x}}{e^{2x}}) = T(\frac{e^{4x}}{e^{2x}}+\frac{2e^{5x}}{e^{2x}})[/tex]
Is this what you mean?

Thank you so much bro. I REALLY apreciate the assistance. I owe you one. Gotto go to my L.A. class now. THanks.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and other mathematical structures to solve problems related to linear systems.

2. What is a linear algebra problem?

A linear algebra problem is a mathematical problem that involves solving for unknown variables in a system of linear equations. These problems can also involve performing operations on matrices and vectors to find solutions.

3. What does "solving for T in F(R) with given functions" mean?

This phrase refers to solving for the variable T in a function that is defined in terms of the real numbers (R). It involves using linear algebra techniques to manipulate the given functions and equations in order to find the value of T that satisfies the given conditions.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve linear algebra problems?

Some common techniques used to solve linear algebra problems include Gaussian elimination, matrix operations, and vector transformations. These techniques involve manipulating equations and variables in a systematic way to find solutions.

5. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It provides a powerful and efficient way to solve complex mathematical problems and can be used to model real-world situations and make predictions.