Solving xy'(x) - y(x) = x^2 Exp[x] using the power series method

In summary, the problem is that you don't seem to be able to obtain a recusion formula for the coefficients.
Repetit
I've tried solving the equation xy'(x) - y(x) = x^2 Exp[x] using the power series method. I assume that y has the form:

[tex] y = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n [/tex]

Inserting this in the diff. eq. gives:

[tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} n a_n x^n - \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n = x^2 e^x [/tex]

Now, in the other types of diff. eqations I've solved using this method I found a recursive formula for the coefficients, but I don't see how I can do that here? How would I got about solving this problem?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try using the series for ex on the RHS. It's just a suggestion, so I don't know whether it'll work, but give it a go!

Yes, if you are required to use the series method, expand ex in Taylor's series and compare corresponding powers of x.

Of course, that's an "Euler type" equation so it should be easier to solve it directly, perhaps by converting to an equation with constant coefficients.

My problem is that I don't see how to obtain a recusion formula for the coefficients. Even when trying to solve just the corresponding homogeneous equation [tex]x y'(x) - y(x) = 0[/tex] I end up with something like [tex]n a_n - a_n = 0 [/tex] and I can't see what to do.

Obviously, [itex]na_n- a_n= 0[/itex] is true as long as [itex]a_n= 0[/itex] for any n other than 1. For n= 1, the equation becomes [itex]a_1= a_1[/itex] which is also true- [itex]a_1[/itex] becomes the undetermined constant in your general solution. What that tells you is that the general solution to xy'(x)- y(x)= 0 is y(x)= Cx.
Since [itex]e^x= \Sigma_{n=0}^\infty\frac{1}{n!}x^n[/itex], [itex]x^2e^x= \Sigma_{n=0}^\infty\frac{1}{n!}x^{n+2}[/itex]. If you let i= n+2, then you get [itex]x^2e^x= \Sigma_{i=2}^\infty\frac{1}{(i-2)!}x^i[/itex] so you can compare "like powers".
You get [itex](0)a_0- a_0= 0[/itex] so a_0= 0. [itex](1)a_1- a_1= 0[/itex] which is always true- [itex]a_1[/itex] will be an "unknown constant".

For n> 1, [itex]na_n- a_n= a_n(n-1)= \frac{1}{(n-2)!}[/itex] so
[tex]a_n= \frac{1}{(n-2)!(n-1)}[/itex].

Hmm, of course. Why did I not see that. I guess I was to focused on obtaining a recursion formula for the coefficients, because I thought I always had to do that. I see now that I don't. Thanks a lot for the help!

1. What is the power series method?

The power series method is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations. It involves representing a function as a sum of terms, each of which is a power of the independent variable.

2. How is the power series method used to solve differential equations?

To solve a differential equation using the power series method, we substitute the power series representation of the unknown function into the differential equation and equate coefficients of like powers of the independent variable.

3. Why is the power series method useful for solving differential equations?

The power series method is useful because it allows us to approximate solutions to differential equations with greater accuracy than other methods. It also provides a systematic way of finding solutions, rather than relying on guesswork.

4. How is the power series method applied to the equation xy'(x) - y(x) = x^2 Exp[x]?

In this equation, we can express the unknown function y(x) as a power series: y(x) = a0 + a1x + a2x^2 + a3x^3 + ... Substituting this into the given equation and equating coefficients, we can solve for the values of the coefficients a0, a1, a2, etc. This will give us the power series representation of y(x) that satisfies the equation.

5. What are some limitations of the power series method?

The power series method may not always work for all types of differential equations. It is also limited in its ability to find exact solutions, as it relies on approximations. Additionally, finding the coefficients in the power series representation can be a tedious and time-consuming process.