Law of Observation: Is It Real?

In summary, Observational Physics is a new theory which goes back and corrects the errors that were originally made in special and general relativity, to create a working unified theory. Observational Physics is based upon the concepts that the universe is composed of energy in four different forms, time is constant, distance is relative. Space exists as a fourth form of energy, and rather than relative states, there are observed states of which the only true state is that which an object would see itself. Space is the only force which is constant in all observed states, and it is the source of all gravitational forces. To date, this theory has been correct for all macro calculations and it predicts that all black holes will have a true gravitational force of 2.
ranyart
Is there such a thing as a Law Of Observation? How would one define this Law?

If yes please state if this has its roots within QM..QFT..QCD..or Relativity..Stringtheory..or M-Theory.

If no such Law exists?..then anything goes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you are referring to the quantum Zeno effect? (aka observed pot never boils)

Originally posted by ranyart
Is there such a thing as a Law Of Observation? How would one define this Law?

If yes please state if this has its roots within QM..QFT..QCD..or Relativity..Stringtheory..or M-Theory.

If no such Law exists?..then anything goes.

The Laws of Space and Observation: A Unified Theory

James P.Siepmann

Journal of Theoretics, Editor

4019 Shangri-la Pt., Oshkosh, WI 54904, USA

Abstract: Observational Physics is a new theory which goes back and corrects the errors that were originally made in special and general relativity, to create a working unified theory. Observational Physics is based upon the concepts that the universe is composed of energy in four different forms, time is constant, distance is relative. Space exists as a fourth form of energy, and rather than relative states, there are observed states of which the only true state is that which an object would see itself.

To date, this theory has been correct for all macro calculations and it predicts that all black holes will have a true gravitational force of 2.0E8 m/ s2 at its horizon.

With Observational Physics, gravity can be calculated without a gravitational constant.

Introduction

Observational Physics is based upon the unique premises that the universe is composed solely of four forms of energy, time is not relative, Space* exists, distance is a function of Space density, and that the only accurate state of observation is that which an object would see itself.[1]

All other states of observation are relative and in order for an observer to calculate the true values for an object’s size, mass, gravitational force, and energy, one must use the relative space density and warp equations which are explained in detail later.

By using the Relative Space Warp (RSW) equations, it becomes simple to calculate the actual gravitational force of anybody without having to use the gravitational constant.[2] It is necessary that we no longer think of gravity as a “pulling” force (i.e. gravity waves) but rather that of a force which results from the displacement of Space and if anything would be a “pushing” force. This entity which I have come to call “Space” may actually be what has been referred to as “background energy,” “vacuum energy,” or “zero-point field energy (zpf)” in the past. The characteristics and properties of this “Space” shall be explained later.

I suppose this is an unrelated thought to the actual question, but, it seems to me that human observation "through one's eyes" to have ANY affect on the stasis or outcome of an external non-human event is absurd.
A tree falls in the forest AND makes a sound whether or not we observe it, I don't care what anyone say's. And the thought that a "sound" is not a sound unless it is heard is complete BS. The fundamental actuality of "sound" creation and propagation has NOTHING to do with observation. It exists because it happened. Period.

Originally posted by pallidin
It exists because it happened. Period.

Can you prove it? You're assumption is based on past observations, right?

You assume that "if" a tree falls it creates sound waves that are interpreted as sound waves by organisms other than humans in the vicinity of the fall.

In fact you probably think the sound waves would disturb non-living matter as well and astonishingly re-arrange their molecular composition with relation to the sound waves created by the fallen tree.

Can you prove your assumtions to the same degree that repeated observations of a phenomenon can prove that phenomenon exists (which is no proof to begin with)?

Originally posted by p-brane
Can you prove it? You're assumption is based on past observations, right?

You assume that "if" a tree falls it creates sound waves that are interpreted as sound waves by organisms other than humans in the vicinity of the fall.

In fact you probably think the sound waves would disturb non-living matter as well and astonishingly re-arrange their molecular composition with relation to the sound waves created by the fallen tree.

Can you prove your assumtions to the same degree that repeated observations of a phenomenon can prove that phenomenon exists (which is no proof to begin with)?

p-brane, surely you are NOT suggesting that a tree falls or it's sound created ONLY if it is observed ?

I suppose this is an unrelated thought to the actual question, but, it seems to me that human observation "through one's eyes" to have ANY affect on the stasis or outcome of an external non-human event is absurd.
A tree falls in the forest AND makes a sound whether or not we observe it, I don't care what anyone say's. And the thought that a "sound" is not a sound unless it is heard is complete BS. The fundamental actuality of "sound" creation and propagation has NOTHING to do with observation. It exists because it happened. Period.

It is known through observation 'seeing', that the smallest speck of dust corresponds to the ability of the detector/observer 'Eyes', in such a way that there could be influence from the speck of dust to the observer, or from the observer to the speck of dust.

Simply a speck of dust is visible by the information it relays to the observer. But the correspondence limit states that only a large enough area 'with' information can relay into the observational world, which is exactly what happens when one observes the smallest particulate, it becomes Relative to OBSERVATION!

Now in the Quantum World the 'Hidden Variables' replaces any ability to detect something that has a low Quantum Number associated to it, where size is transferred to lengths of energy based quantities.

The loss of information transport between (Observer/detector) remains one of the puzzling aspects of Quantum Containment, in that information cannot transport from the Quantum World without breaking through the Relative Barrier.

Distance-Location-Size magnitudes cannot be given to any small Quantum Numbers in relation to any Distance-Location-Size comparable to Observers in a 3-D arena.

Now if we were to make assumptions based on the 'Falling-tree' analogy, one can state that allthough a tree may be 'out' of line of sight, it can still be heard falling?..based on the information the Ears recieve, we can deduce that 'it sounds like a tree falling'.

But 'accurate' observations based on sight is quite different, if one was at the farthest location where the tree is Visible before it topples over, (compared in scale to the scale of speck of Dust/Observer), then there can be no information that confirms the tree having fallen?

The Distance-Location-Size would not confirm the tree as having toppled over, the 'movement' of the falling tree could not be distinguished from the limit imposed by the position of observer in relation to the scale one is observing from.

As far as the observer is concerned, based on the information recieved, the tree would still be standing? the motion of the tree falling would need observers to be closer in order to accurately describe the motions involved.

Which gives the Quantum Realm the perfect system in which Hidden Variables can develop into rational explinations of events, every event is forever 'Hidden'.

By default, you cannot get close enough to a Quantum System (without affecting the sytem) in order to observe the motions of 'Hidden' events taking place, the closer you get to becoming part of Quantum System, the 'LESS' you become Relative to the Events that are happening!

Relativity has Limits based on Observations.

Quantum Systems do not have any Limits whatsoever!

p-brane, surely you are NOT suggesting that a tree falls or it's sound created ONLY if it is observed ?

Depends on one's interpretation of Schrodinger (sp:edit).

Is a wave a particle if no one observes it? Is a wave a wave if no one observes it? (edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Falling trees

In the thought experiment where you capture the falling tree on a video camera and play it back a year later, how can your observation using the equipment act backwards in time to make the falling tree noisey?

Good post jackle.

OK, here is my interpretation. I am taking 'law of observation' to refer to statistical observations.

'Classical' law of observation: We usually have incomplete knowledge of the state of a system (i.e. we describe it by a probability density rather than a point in phase space), but there exist observations that we could make in principle that would complete this knowledge (i.e. reveal the actual point in phase space that a system occupies).

'Quantum' law of observation: We always have incomplete knowledge of a system and this knowldege is incompletable by any set of observations even in principle. This could be made more precise by looking at information disturbance tradeoffs in quantum measurements and I suppose it would lead to more sophisticated variants of the Heisenberg uncertainty relations.

Whether these 'laws of observation' can be raised to the level of axioms for classical and quantum probabilities is an interesting, but wide open, question.

Originally posted by jackle
In the thought experiment where you capture the falling tree on a video camera and play it back a year later, how can your observation using the equipment act backwards in time to make the falling tree noisey?

If its a thought experiment...why do you need a video camera?

Does your dreams have Surround Sound? and can you Hear with your Eyes?

Where is this thought experiment?..do you have a link?

It is a thought experiment because you don't actually have to carry it out. You know the result of the experiment before starting - the tree will make a noise. No need to actually use the video camera.

I don't have a link. I actually heard this objection from Bart Simpson talking back to philisophically minded Lisa on the TV show. I think it is a pretty obvious objection.

Originally posted by jackle
It is a thought experiment because you don't actually have to carry it out. You know the result of the experiment before starting - the tree will make a noise. No need to actually use the video camera.

I don't have a link. I actually heard this objection from Bart Simpson talking back to philisophically minded Lisa on the TV show. I think it is a pretty obvious objection.

Result of what experiment?..the thread is about the question of:Law of Observation..is there?

I do not object to the inclusion of any statements by Bart..Lisa..Homer even!..but there is no concise reason why you should have replied to the question asked thus.

OK, ranyart.

I think I like this portion of the Law of Space and Observation.

"the only accurate state of observation is that which an object would see itself."

So by this stipulation, we find that the observer can only be an object (organism, in our case) that can not only observe its surroundings but is also able to observe (or "be aware") of itself.

This would not apply to instruments of detection such as sensors of any kind... including video cameras or barametors. These instruments do not observe. They are only tools or methods of observation.

So, it seems to ring true that the only thing that can observe is something that observes itself... I don't even think that would apply to an Algorhythmic program on a computer or an AI robot... unless it was very far advanced.

The other question I had about the Law Of Observation is

Why are you asking?

Isn't there some text that explains it?
If there is why haven't you posted the material in this Thread?

The other interesting thing about observation is that when it is employed the results are false because the act of observation completely changes all the modalities and results concerning the object being observed. As far as I know.

Whats more is... all observations are relative to the observer. It doesn't matter how many people say they saw the same thing... the sampling really only applies to such an microscopic percentile of the universe that it will not apply beyond the scope of .00000000000000000000000000000000000000001000000000000004000000000000008 percent probability as a constant or even a phenomenon to begin with.

Originally posted by Jackle
...In the thought experiment where you capture the falling tree on a video camera and play it back a year later...

...If its a thought experiment...why do you need a video camera?...
Does your dreams have Surround Sound? and can you Hear with your Eyes?
Where is this thought experiment?...

Originally posted by Jackle
...It is a thought experiment because you don't actually have to carry it out. You know the result of the experiment before starting...

...Result of what experiment?...

I think (from the flow of this conversation) that I need to explain what I mean by a "thought experiment".

First what it isn't. It isn't in my dreams, it isn't about hearing with your eyes, you don't need a real video camera or a real tree to fall down and you can't find the results on the web.

Thought experiments are characterized by having results that are so obvious, it is a complete waste of time carrying the experiments out. They are designed to expose flaws in reasoning (usually in interpretations of quantum mechanics) and the classic example is the cat paradox that I can supply a link to:

http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~tomy/physics/cat.html [Broken]

This is probably a crap link cos it is just the first in the list when I did a search. I haven't read the site.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Law of Observation?

The Law of Observation is a principle in science that suggests that the act of observing something can affect its behavior or outcome. This concept is often associated with quantum physics and has been the subject of much debate and research.

2. Is the Law of Observation scientifically proven?

The Law of Observation is a widely accepted principle in quantum physics, but it has not been proven in a traditional scientific sense. While there is evidence to support its existence, it is still a theoretical concept and requires further study to fully understand its implications.

3. How does the Law of Observation work?

The exact mechanism of how the Law of Observation works is not fully understood, but it is believed that the act of observation can alter the behavior of subatomic particles on a quantum level. Some theories suggest that the observer's consciousness plays a role in this effect.

4. Can the Law of Observation be applied to everyday life?

While the Law of Observation is primarily studied in the field of quantum physics, some people believe that it can also be applied to everyday life. This idea suggests that our thoughts and intentions can impact our reality, but this concept is not widely accepted in the scientific community.

5. What are the implications of the Law of Observation?

The implications of the Law of Observation are still being explored and debated. Some scientists believe that it could have potential applications in fields such as technology and medicine, while others argue that it is simply a philosophical concept with no practical use.