Computing Expectation values as functions of time.

Just use it to compute the <x> and <p> you want. Remember you have a sum, so your answer will be a sum of contributions from each term in the sum.Patrick
Ed Quanta

Homework Statement

6) A particle in the infinite square well has the initial wave function
Ψ(x,0)= Ax when 0<=x<=a/2
Ψ(x,0)= A(a-x) when a/2<=x<=a

a) Sketch Ψ(x,0), and determine the constant A.
b) Find Ψ(x,t)
c) Compute <x> and <p> as functions of time. Do they oscillate? With what frequency?

Homework Equations

Schrodinger Equation, Equations for expectation values

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a) wasn't a problem. I solved for the normalization constant A by setting the integral of the norm of the wave function equal to zero.
A = 2 * sqrt(3/a^3)

Part (b) also wasn't a problem as Ψ(x,t)=Ψ(x,0)exp(-iEt/h)

Part (c) confuses me a little. I know how to calculate <x> and <p> using the equations <x> = ∫ψ*(x)xψ(x)dx and <p> = ∫ψ*(x)(h/i)d/dx(ψ(x))dx. But the as functions of time confuses me. Won't the exp(-iEt/h) cancel out when multiplied by its conjugate. If this is true, then how can <x> and <p> oscillate? How could they oscillate with any frequency? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
psi(x,0) is not an energy eigenfunction. So there is no single value of E to use for it. You'll have to represent it as a sum of energy eigenfunctions (a Fourier series) to determine its time evolution.

Ok. I wasn't expecting that. I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean a series that looks exp(-iE1t/h) + exp(-iE2t/h) + exp (-iE3t/h) +...

What are the eigenfunctions of the infinite square well, and how would you represent your initial function Ψ(x,0) in terms of them?

I am not following at all. I don't really know what you are getting at. The only energy eigenfunction I have seen for the infinite square well is E=n^2(pi^2)(h^2)/(2ma^2).

Ed Quanta said:
I am not following at all. I don't really know what you are getting at. The only energy eigenfunction I have seen for the infinite square well is E=n^2(pi^2)(h^2)/(2ma^2).

Those are the energies which are eigenvalues (of the Hamiltonian). Corresponding to each of those eigenvalue is an eigenfunction. What are they?

exp(-iEnt/h)

That's only the time dependence. How about the space dependence?

Ed Quanta said:
exp(-iEnt/h)

That is just the time dependence. What is the x dependence?

I think it would be Ψ(x)=Asin(n*pi*x/a)

Ed Quanta said:
I think it would be Ψ(x)=Asin(n*pi*x/a)

Right. *These* are the energy eigenfunctions, so only these wavefunctions vary in time with an exponential [itex] e^{-iE_n t/ \hbar}[/itex]. You can't stick a time exponential to any function of x!

So first you must expand your wavefunction over those eigenfunctions using orthonormality. If you haven't seen an example of that in class, it will be long to explain and I have to go teach right now. Maybe I can help more later.

Dick said:
That's only the time dependence. How about the space dependence?

:biggrin: We wrote almost exactly the same sentence! :smile:

nrqed said:
Right. *These* are the energy eigenfunctions, so only these wavefunctions vary in time with an exponential [itex] e^{-iE_n t/ \hbar}[/itex]. You can't stick a time exponential to any function of x!

So first you must expand your wavefunction over those eigenfunctions using orthonormality. If you haven't seen an example of that in class, it will be long to explain and I have to go teach right now. Maybe I can help more later.

Ok, so what happens to my initial wave function, Ψ(x,0)?

nrqed said:
:biggrin: We wrote almost exactly the same sentence! :smile:

For that reason, I feel confident you can continue here. I've got to get to work.

Ed Quanta said:
Ok, so what happens to my initial wave function, Ψ(x,0)?

You have to write
[tex] \Psi(x,0) = \sum_n c_n {\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{a}) [/tex]
and find the the value of the c_n using orthonormlaity of the sin wavefunctions. Once you have the c_n , plug them back into
[tex] \Psi(x,t) = \sum_n c_n {\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} sin(\frac{n \pi x}{a}) e^{-iE_n t/\hbar} [/tex]
Your answer will have to stay this way..as an infinite sum.

Patrick

Thanks my main man.

Ed Quanta said:
Thanks my main man.

You're welcome. The only difficulty is in finding th ec_n which will require doing an integral of the sin wavefunction times your original wavefunction (leaving "n" an arbitrary parameter).

I haven't addressed your question c) though but I have to go.

Best luck

Patrick

Ok, I think I'm cool with (b). Help with part (c) anyone?

Ed Quanta said:
Ok, I think I'm cool with (b). Help with part (c) anyone?

I don't see the problem, now that you have the [itex] \Psi (x,t) [/itex].

1. How do you compute expectation values as functions of time?

The expectation value of a physical quantity can be computed by taking the average of all the possible values that the quantity can take, weighted by the probability of each value occurring. As time passes, the probability distribution of the physical quantity may change, resulting in a change in the expectation value.

2. What is the significance of computing expectation values as functions of time?

Computing expectation values as functions of time allows us to track the evolution of physical systems over time. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of these systems, and help us make predictions about future outcomes.

3. Can expectation values be computed for any physical quantity?

Yes, expectation values can be computed for any physical quantity that has a well-defined probability distribution. This includes quantities such as position, momentum, energy, and spin, among others.

4. Are there different methods for computing expectation values as functions of time?

Yes, there are various mathematical techniques and computational algorithms that can be used to compute expectation values as functions of time. The choice of method may depend on the specific physical system being studied and the level of accuracy required for the calculation.

5. How can computing expectation values as functions of time be applied in real-world scenarios?

Computing expectation values as functions of time has various applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and thermodynamics. It can also be used in areas such as finance, where it is used to predict the future behavior of stock prices and other financial quantities.