How can I prevent unexpected restarts in Windows XP?

• Thread starter wormhole
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of unexpected restarts on a Windows XP operating system. The speakers mention that these restarts can occur when making changes to settings or installing new software, and that it can be a nuisance if there are unsaved programs open. They also suggest the possibility of a virus or worm causing the restarts. However, one speaker mentions that planning ahead and closing programs before restarting can prevent these issues. Another speaker shares their own experience with a previous version of Windows that had frequent crashes.
wormhole
it's driving me crazy...

anyone knows how can i prevent my windows xp from restarting??

there are situations when you click some button in some window and it
restarts the system without asking first

everything is fine with windows no virusesand restart is more or less expected

why i say "more or less"?

for example 2 minutes ago i uninstalled some windows component which i got from windows update site and now i don't need it... so uninstall finished and message box appeared saying something like "i probably will need to restart my computer" and only one button "OK' on it.
so i hit ok assuming that the system will pop up messege box to ask me if i want to restart now or later...
but instead windows restarted with no care that i have a bunch of programs working...

so i looking for some way to prevent restart that already begun or to force system in all cases explicitly ask my permission to restart

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
It sounds like your specified operating system is working exzctly as it was made to ( yes I use windows also )

I've been using Windows XP for 3 years and I've never had such a problem.

Not to insult your intelligence but is it possible that you have a trojan or worm?

Wormhole, as you've discovered, changes that you make to settings, installing new software, etc... will often require windows to restart before they can take affect.

And as you mentioned, usually you will get a pop up box with the option to restart later, but apparently not always.

It's usually a good idea to save and close out of whatever you are doing before you do these things otherwise you could lose unsaved information.

I know it's a nuisance if you are doing a lot, but a little planning ahead and patience on your part is your best bet.

Originally posted by wormhole
message box appeared saying something like "i probably will need to restart my computer" and only one button "OK' on it.
so i hit ok assuming that the system will pop up messege box to ask me if i want to restart now or later...
but instead windows restarted with no care that i have a bunch of programs working...
Um.. you could've closed your programs befóre hitting the 'OK' button? I know though.. it can be annoying. I was working on a windows 98 computer not too long ago, but I wrote it off for the scrap yard. It used to crash on me every 15 min and it would take about the same time to get it running again

Yeah Windows 98 sucked. I used to keep a log of how often it crashed. It averaged about 3 times per day and the most common thing that would happen is when the screen goes all blue with no words. With BSOD you get words telling you to do something, but my computer would just go blue with no words. Sometimes it would also just go all black.

1. What is meant by "restart without my permission"?

Restarting without your permission means that your computer or device will automatically shut down and restart without you explicitly allowing it to do so. This can occur for various reasons, such as software updates or crashes.

2. Can I prevent my computer from restarting without my permission?

Yes, you can prevent your computer from restarting without your permission by changing your device's settings. For example, on a Windows computer, you can go to "Settings" > "Update & Security" > "Advanced options" and select "Notify to schedule restart" to avoid unexpected restarts.

3. What are the potential consequences of a restart without my permission?

Depending on the situation, a restart without your permission can cause data loss, interruption of ongoing tasks, and inconvenience. It can also be a sign of a software or hardware issue that needs to be addressed.

4. Why does my computer restart without my permission?

As mentioned before, there can be various reasons why your computer restarts without your permission. Some common reasons include automatic software updates, system crashes, and power outages. It is important to investigate the cause to prevent future unexpected restarts.

5. How can I regain control of my computer after a restart without my permission?

If your computer has restarted without your permission, you can usually log back in and resume your tasks. However, if you encounter any issues, such as missing files or errors, it is recommended to consult a professional or seek technical support. It is also important to regularly save your work and back up important files to prevent data loss in the event of an unexpected restart.