Olutions to Hilbert Hotel's Infinite Room Challenge

The implication of this is that you can move all the people in the even rooms into the odd rooms, and you wouldnt run out of either type of room.In summary, the problem at hand is about Hilbert's Hotel, where there are infinite rooms numbered by natural numbers. AhQ comes to the hotel but is told by the waiter that all rooms are booked. The question is posed about what the waiter should do in such a case. For the first two cases, a solution is proposed where each person is moved to the next room or to a room n spaces away. However, for the third case where there are infinitely many persons, a solution is needed to free up infinitely many rooms. One possible solution is
Shing

Homework Statement

There are infinite rooms in Hilbert Hotel, room
number is natural number 0, 1, 2,

Story: AhQ comes into Hilbert Hotel, but
the waiter Kong Yiji tells him that all rooms
are booked up. AhQ is disappointed. If you
were the waiter, what would you do?

2. If there are n persons q1, q2,
· · · , qn, what
will you do?

3. If there are infinite persons q1, q2,
· · · , qn, · · · ,
is there any solution?

**Basically, I understood 1 and 2, but I am confused about #3.
Please help me about #3! thanks!

Homework Equations

N.A.

The Attempt at a Solution

1.The persons in the i-th to (i+n)th rooms moves into the
(i + 1)-th to (i+n+1)th room as follows:
q1q2,q3...,qn,0,1,2,3...

2.h to (i+n)th rooms moves into the
(i + 1)-th to (i+n+1)th room as follows:
q1q2,q3...,qn,0,1,2,3...

Physics news on Phys.org
For your first solution, I would say move each person "up" a room; i.e. the ith room moves to the i+1 th room. For the second, move each person up n rooms, so the person in the ith room moves to the i+n th room-- we can do this since n is finite. (I think this may have been what you meant in your solution)

For the third you need to find a way to free infinitely many rooms.

[Hint: how many odd natural numbers are there? how many even natural numbers are there?]

Last edited:
Basically, I met this question when I was trying to self-study set theory. So I really don't know about that...btw I am still in high school.

So could you tell me more please?

Well, for the third problem, you want to free up infinitely many rooms. One possible way of doing this is to move each person in the hotel to the room with twice the number of the current room-- so the nth person will move to the 2nth room. Thus the even numbers, 2,4,6,... are now taken. Then allocate each new customer an odd room (1,3,5,...) of which there are infinitely many.

So if there are two times infinite persons q1, q2...
I just need to free up two times infinitely many rooms,
like that: n1->n3, n2->n6, n3->n9
right?

No, infinity doesn't work like that, as infinity is not a number. Think of infinity as being "larger than the largest number." Therefore it makes no sense to talk about "two times infinity" since this would just be infinity.

I hope that makes sense-- perhaps someone else could come and give a better explanation!

Along the same lines, its important to remember that there are just as many prime numbers and integers as there are natural numbers. Intuitively, youd think there would be more natural numbers, but the cardinality of all 3 sets is aleph0

1. What is the Hilbert Hotel's Infinite Room Challenge?

The Hilbert Hotel's Infinite Room Challenge is a thought experiment proposed by mathematician David Hilbert which explores the concept of infinity. It involves a hotel with an infinite number of rooms, all of which are occupied. A new guest arrives and the manager is able to accommodate them by moving each guest to the next room, creating an infinite number of vacancies.

2. What is the solution to the Hilbert Hotel's Infinite Room Challenge?

The solution to the Hilbert Hotel's Infinite Room Challenge is that infinity is a concept, not a number. While it may seem impossible to accommodate an infinite number of guests, the manager is able to do so by using the concept of one-to-one correspondence. Each guest is moved to a room that is one number higher than their previous room, and the new guest fills the vacant room 1. This shows that infinity is a constantly changing and expanding concept.

3. Can the Hilbert Hotel's Infinite Room Challenge be applied to real-life scenarios?

While the Hilbert Hotel's Infinite Room Challenge is a theoretical concept, it can be applied to real-life scenarios in certain contexts. For example, it can be used to explain the concept of infinite sets in mathematics, or to illustrate the idea of one-to-one correspondence in computer science and data structures.

4. Are there any flaws in the solution to the Hilbert Hotel's Infinite Room Challenge?

Some argue that the solution to the Hilbert Hotel's Infinite Room Challenge does not accurately reflect the concept of infinity, as it relies on the idea of "counting" infinite objects. Others argue that the concept of one-to-one correspondence is not a concrete solution and raises philosophical questions about the nature of infinity. However, the thought experiment remains a valuable tool for exploring the concept of infinity in mathematics and other fields.

5. What are some other thought experiments related to infinity?

There are many thought experiments related to infinity, including Zeno's paradoxes, the Dichotomy paradox, and the idea of a "supertask" where an infinite number of tasks are completed in a finite amount of time. Other thought experiments explore the concept of infinity in the realms of philosophy, physics, and metaphysics.