How to preserve date modified when burning to a CD

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is looking for a way to preserve the "date modified" feature when burning files from an old PC to a CD without zipping the files. They are wondering if there are any CD-burning utilities that have this capability or if there are backup utilities with more options available.
Simfish
Gold Member
how to preserve "date modified" when burning to a CD

Hello all,
So I have a very old PC and want to backup its files. But I also want the "date modified" feature of such files preserved. The question then, is, how can I preserve the "date modified" part of the file when burning to a CD without zipping the files all up? (it has little hard drive space and can't afford making two separate copies of the zip file - one for the zip file, and the other for the temporary files that are written for the purpose of burning to the disk).

Are there CD-burning utilities that preserve this feature?
Thanks,
Simfish

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'd expect that any CD burning program would do this correctly.

- Warren

If you're having trouble with this, there's probably a setting to "preserve modified date" somewhere.

There are some backup utilities out there too which might have more options for you.

1. How can I preserve the date modified when burning files to a CD?

One way to preserve the date modified when burning files to a CD is to use a disc burning software that allows you to manually set the date and time for the files. This way, you can make sure that the original date modified is maintained.

2. Can I use a specific file format to preserve the date modified when burning to a CD?

No, the file format does not affect the date modified when burning to a CD. The date modified is a property of the file itself and will not be altered during the burning process.

3. Do I need to change any settings on my computer to preserve the date modified when burning to a CD?

No, you do not need to change any settings on your computer. As long as you use a disc burning software that allows you to manually set the date and time for the files, the date modified will be preserved.

4. Will the date modified be preserved if I use a different computer to burn the files to a CD?

Yes, the date modified will still be preserved as long as you use a disc burning software that allows you to manually set the date and time for the files. The date modified is a property of the file itself and is not dependent on the computer used for burning.

5. Is there a way to check if the date modified was successfully preserved after burning to a CD?

Yes, you can check the date modified of the files on the CD by right-clicking on the file and selecting "Properties". The date modified should match the original date before burning. You can also compare the date modified of the files on the CD to the date modified of the original files on your computer.