Consciousness and Epistemology

In summary: I can't see how his characterizations are all that wild. I interpret what Canute is mostly asking is if what math cannot account for might be something essential, unbroken, continuous . . . Such an aspect of reality would be unavailable to both math and reason since they require "parts" to work properly.Now, I suppose whether or not Canute is missing the mark with Goedel is still in question. My opinion is that what Goedel said with mathmatical principles Canute has adequately interpreted for philosophical consideration.
Canute said:
It is provably a logical impossibility if idealism is provably unfalsifiable.

I have a hypothesis. I believe that clock hands go around the clock because they are being pushed by invisible, immaterial gremlins that can only be known through my faith. They cannot be detected empirically. This is an unfalsifiable hypothesis. Does it make any material explanation of the clock (you know, gears, electricity, gravity and such) a logical impossibility?

Yeah, that's the old argument. I suppose I'd make it as well if I was a well paid neuroscientist. I can imagine it still being made in a thousand years time. However logical analysis suggests it does not hold water. This is partly for the reasons that Chalmers and others give, but also because a physical account would falsify idealism. If you can show that idealism is falsifiable then that changes everything, but it appears to be impossible to do that.

The reason it is ignored by neuroscience is because an unfalsifiable hypothesis is considered an invalid hypothesis by scientific standards. A true hypothesis must be testable somehow and must accept negative evidence. This is why theists and dualists will never go away, because even if a completely physical explanation of all phenomena observed in our universe is achieved, they can simply continue to assert that there is more to it. However, for the sake of parsimony (commonly known as Occam's razor) we discard hypotheses like the one about gremlins in clocks because they are superfluous. A clock can be understood on purely physical terms. So might human consciousness. Idealism has no bearing on this; it is a factually meaningless hypothesis and I'm surprised that you continue to cling to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
loseyourname said:
I have a hypothesis. I believe that clock hands go around the clock because they are being pushed by invisible, immaterial gremlins that can only be known through my faith. They cannot be detected empirically. This is an unfalsifiable hypothesis. Does it make any material explanation of the clock (you know, gears, electricity, gravity and such) a logical impossibility?
What's this got to do with anything?

The reason it is ignored by neuroscience is because an unfalsifiable hypothesis is considered an invalid hypothesis by scientific standards.
So what? Idealism is unfalsifiable whether neuroscientists like it or not. They can choose to turn a blind eye if they want but it doesn' change anything.

hypothesis must be testable somehow and must accept negative evidence.
Idealism is unfalsifiable. It is not a hypothesis it is a fact derived from the empirical evidence.

This is why theists and dualists will never go away, because even if a completely physical explanation of all phenomena observed in our universe is achieved, they can simply continue to assert that there is more to it.
There is more to it, we know that for certain. However it is not necessary to be a dualist or a theist because of it. There are more sophisticated explanations.

However, for the sake of parsimony (commonly known as Occam's razor) we discard hypotheses like the one about gremlins in clocks because they are superfluous. A clock can be understood on purely physical terms. So might human consciousness. Idealism has no bearing on this; it is a factually meaningless hypothesis and I'm surprised that you continue to cling to it.
We have no choice but to cling to it, it's unfalsifiable. This entails that it might be true. It is only science that defines it as unfalsifiable. It's not unverifiable.

These undecidable metaphysical questions derive from the assumptions of science so of course science can't solve them. However such paradoxes and problems don't exist in more sophisticated view of the world.

You seem to be arguing that idealism is false because it's not scientifically testable. This is not a rational point of view. Science is defined in such a way that the question of idealism is undecidable and untestable. That doesn't mean it isn't true or that we can't know whether it's true. It just means that a priori we can't do this by using only the scientific method, and certainly not by adopting the same assumptions as science.

If you stick to facts and forget about defending science or refuting religion then the issues are actually fairly straightforward. This is the situation.

It is possible to know that idealism is true (if it is)
It is not possible to prove that idealism is true.
It is not possible to prove that idealism is false.
It is not possible to know that idealism is false.
It is possible to know that materialism is false (if it is)
It is not possible to prove that materialism is false.
It is not possible to prove that materialism is true.
It is not possible to know that materialism is true.

Which ones don't you agree with?

Last edited: