Finding a Book on Basic Number Theory

In summary, there are many freely available lecture notes on basic number theory, but they may contain errors and lack errata sheets. If willing to spend money, Baker and Le Veque have highly respected introductory books, titled "A Concise Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" and "Fundamentals of Number Theory" respectively. Both can be found on Amazon, with prices ranging from 6 to 15 pounds.
MC363A
Can anyone direct me to a good, free, book on basic number theory?
Preferably free. :biggrin: But if it isn't, it's not the end of the world.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many sets of lecture notes available freely on the web from various university lecturers. There will be errors in them, and there might not be errata sheets for them, so you're best off staying away from them.

If you can fork out cash then Baker and Le Veque have writtend very well respected introductory books. Baker's title escapes me but amazon must be able to give you a reasonably good chance of finding it, and le Veque;s is called the Fundamentals of Number Theory and was republished by Dover half a dozen years ago (my copy cost 15 pounds sterling in 1997)

update baker's is a concise introduction to the theory of numbers, 15 pounds on amazon.
a leveque (note no space between the words as mistakenly wrote above) paper back version of fundamentals of number theory is currently llsted at 6 pounds.

Last edited:
for your help!

Hi there! I would recommend checking out "A Friendly Introduction to Number Theory" by Joseph H. Silverman. It covers all the basic concepts and is available for free as a PDF download on the author's website. Another good option is "Elementary Number Theory" by David M. Burton, which is also available for free as a PDF on the author's website. Both of these books are highly recommended for beginners in number theory. If you're open to spending a little money, "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by G. H. Hardy and E. M. Wright is a classic and highly regarded book on the subject. Happy reading!

1. What is basic number theory?

Basic number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of integers, or whole numbers. It involves topics such as divisibility, prime numbers, and congruences.

2. How do I find a book on basic number theory?

To find a book on basic number theory, you can search online or visit your local library or bookstore. You can also ask a librarian or math teacher for recommendations.

3. What are some popular books on basic number theory?

Some popular books on basic number theory include "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by G.H. Hardy and E.M. Wright, "Elementary Number Theory" by David Burton, and "Number Theory" by George E. Andrews.

4. Are there any online resources for learning about basic number theory?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning about basic number theory. Some websites that offer free lessons and tutorials include Khan Academy, Brilliant, and Number Theory Web.

5. Is basic number theory useful in real life?

Yes, basic number theory has many applications in real life, such as in cryptography, computer science, and finance. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, making it a valuable subject to study.