Unraveling the Mystery of Carbon Dating: Age of an Ancient Fire Pit

In summary, the charcoal sample from the ancient fire pit has a 14C activity of 63 disintegrations per minute. A living tree has a 14C activity of 15 disintegrations per minute per 1g. The half-life of 14C is 5730 years. Therefore, the charcoal sample from the ancient fire pit is approximately 4813.2 years old.
Jon1527
Carbon dating!

A 5g charcoal sample from an ancient fire pit has a 14C activity of 63 disintegrations
per minute. A living tree has a 14C activity of 15 disintegrations per minute per 1g.
The half-life of 14C is 5730 years. How old is the charcoal sample from the ancient fire
pit?

Homework Equations

dont think that any are necessary (I think!)

The Attempt at a Solution

63/5 =12.6
12.6/15 = 0.84
5730*0.84 = 4813.2 years

This isn't the right answer I am sure. This is taken from a previous exam paper I am doing to revise for my exams, and carbon dating is defintly gona come up, but can't find a method for doing this kind of question any where can somone pleeease help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't understood half-life correctly.
The activity is halved every 5730years, so if you start with 15/s then after 5370 years you will have 7.5/s and after 10740 years 3.75/s.
If you draw this on a graph you will see that it isn't a stright line.

If you haven't studied enough maths to work this out the exam will normally 'cheat' and use answers that are whole numbers of half-lives. Because this doesn't you should have come across the equation for exponential decay.
Look up half-life or exponential decay.

When the tree is alive it absorbs carbon (dioxide) from the atmosphere. This keeps the ratio of radioactive carbon in it (per gram) constant. When it dies the absorption (respiration) process stops and the remaining radioactive carbon (14) starts to decrease due to decay.

The given data gives you the half-life of the decay process. The relation between the half-life and the decay constant is

[tex]T_{1/2}\ \lambda = \ln(2)[/tex]

so the initial activity is 15 disintegrations per minute per gram. The question requires you calculate the amount of time that elapsed to bring it down to 12.6. The decay decreases exponentially with time.

Last edited:
Agreed. The formula for radioactive decay was logarithmic last time I checked.

Yes, the exponential formula can be changed into a (natural) logarithmic one that is linear in time.

I assumed that since the OP wasn't given simple times they must have studied decay laws and was trying to give hints on what to look up.
If they haven't studied decay laws then quoting formulae with log(2) and lamba weren't going to help.

I am not sure how one would do this without decal laws. What other approach is there? Using half-lifes?

[tex]\frac{A_o}{2^n} = A_{now}[/tex]

If this is in an intro course before they have studied the necessary maths to use log funtions the decay rate is often chosen to be a whole number of half-lives, or you draw a graph and pick numbers off the curve.

To my knowledge the decay rate (or activity) is

[tex]A = \frac{dN}{dt} = -\lambda\ N[/tex]

which also decreases exponentially with time.

this is how the solution should be,
Equation : R = R0e-λt

t = (1/λ) (ln R0/R) = (5730 y/ ln 2) ln[(15.3/63.0)(5.00/1.00)] = 1.61x103 y

1. What is carbon dating and how does it work?

Carbon dating is a method used by scientists to determine the age of organic materials such as plants, animals, and humans. It works by measuring the amount of radioactive carbon-14 in the sample, which decays at a consistent rate over time. By comparing the amount of carbon-14 in the sample to the amount of stable carbon-12, scientists can calculate the age of the material.

2. How accurate is carbon dating?

Carbon dating is generally considered to be a highly accurate method of determining the age of organic materials. However, the accuracy can be affected by factors such as the presence of other elements that can affect the rate of decay, contamination of the sample, and the calibration of the equipment used.

3. What is the age limit for carbon dating?

Carbon dating is most accurate for samples that are less than 50,000 years old. This is because after that time, the amount of carbon-14 remaining in the sample is too small to accurately measure. For older samples, scientists may use other dating methods such as potassium-argon dating or uranium-lead dating.

4. How can carbon dating be used to determine the age of an ancient fire pit?

By taking a sample of the organic material from the fire pit and measuring the amount of carbon-14 in it, scientists can calculate the age of the fire pit. This is because the carbon-14 in the wood used to build the fire pit was once alive and therefore contained a certain amount of carbon-14. As the wood burned, the carbon-14 would begin to decay, and by knowing the rate of decay, scientists can determine how long ago the fire pit was built.

5. What are the limitations of carbon dating?

While carbon dating is a useful tool for determining the age of organic materials, it does have some limitations. It can only be used on materials that were once alive, so it cannot be used to date rocks or other inorganic materials. It also relies on the assumption that the rate of decay has remained constant, which may not always be the case. Furthermore, carbon dating can only provide an estimate of the age of a sample and is not always 100% accurate.