How to Prove the Inequality e^x > (1 +f(x)/n)^n for x in (0, infinity)?

• Thread starter regularngon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to show that for a given function f(x) that satisfies 0 <= f(x) < infinity, the inequality e^x > (1 +f(x)/n)^n holds for all n and x > 0. The suggestion is to compare the series representation of e^x and write out (1 +f(x)/n)^n using the binomial theorem. There is some confusion about whether this statement is true for all n and the possibility of a typo in the original problem.
regularngon

Homework Statement

If 0 <= f(x) < infinity, then I need to show that e^x > (1 +f(x)/n)^n for x in (0, infinity)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure the answer lies in the comparison of the series representation for e^x and writing (1 +f(x)/n)^n out with the binomial theorem. I did so, however I still don't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this supposed to be true for all n, or the limit as approaches infinity or what? Suppose f(0)=1 then the statement is false for n=1, and x=0.

for all n, and x > 0 though.

regularngon said:
for all n, and x > 0 though.

Again take n=1, and any function f(x) such that f(1)=2, and it is false.

Yea it must be a typo on my teachers part. I'm going to guess he meant e^f(x).

Well in that case writing out the series expansions for both sides of the equation would help.

What does it mean to "prove an inequality" in a scientific context?

In science, proving an inequality means demonstrating that one mathematical expression is greater than or less than another expression. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as algebraic manipulation, calculus, or logical reasoning.

Why is proving inequalities important in scientific research?

Proving inequalities is important in scientific research because it allows us to make accurate comparisons and draw conclusions about the relationships between different variables. It also helps to establish the validity of scientific theories and models.

What are some common methods used to prove inequalities?

Some common methods used to prove inequalities include direct proof, proof by contradiction, mathematical induction, and using inequalities properties such as the transitive or additive property.

What are some challenges involved in trying to prove an inequality?

One challenge in proving inequalities is choosing the most appropriate method for a particular problem. Additionally, inequalities can sometimes involve complex algebraic expressions or involve multiple variables, making them more difficult to prove. Another challenge is ensuring that all steps in the proof are mathematically sound and valid.

Can inequalities ever be proven wrong?

Yes, inequalities can be proven wrong if a counterexample is found. This means that there exists at least one set of values for the variables that makes the inequality statement false. In this case, the inequality would need to be modified or a different approach would need to be taken to accurately represent the relationship between the variables.