Help Needed - Solving Physics Problem

• Thread starter Wiccan_Childe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about finding the corrosion rate of a material for a prosthetic device. The given equations and information suggest that this is a chemistry problem rather than a physics one. The goal is to calculate the corrosion rate in mm/yr for each material.
Wiccan_Childe
Hi, I have a problem, and I'm not looking for anyone to give me the answers, just a pointer in the right direction would be fantastic.

eg. Iron
Material Density (g/cm^3) = 7.87
Oxidation State (Z) = 2
Corrosion Current Density (amps/cm^2) = 2.5*10^4
Atomic Weight (g/m) = 55.8
Corrosion Rate = ??

We're given a list of equations, as follows -
Rate= j/nF
density = m/v
o= Ee
F = 96,500 Coul/mol
o= F/Ao
1 MPa = 10^6 N/m^2

I have no idea which equations to use even, I'm very new to physics, and would appreciate anyone who can help me out, because I want to be able to solve (and understand!) how to figure it out.

Thankyou!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you finding the corrosion rate of? You didn't describe the problem at all.

All we're given is the info below in a table, and this paragraph before it...

Deterioration or corrosion of a prosthetic device is an important factor for the selection of a material. For a metal to retain its mechanical properties over the lifetime of the implant the corrosion rate must be less than 2.50 x 10-4 mm/yr. In the following table calculate the corrosion rate in mm/yr for each of the materials.

This looks like a tedious conversion problem chemistry problem more than a physics problem. I really don't think this is one of the introductory physics topics.

What is the best approach for solving a physics problem?

The best approach for solving a physics problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Identify the given information, determine what is being asked, and then use relevant equations and concepts to solve for the unknown variable. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the problem.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and to not get discouraged by difficult problems. Make sure to thoroughly understand the underlying concepts and equations, and try solving problems from different sources. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or your peers can also be beneficial.

What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and make sure you understand the given information and what is being asked. Then, try approaching the problem from a different angle or breaking it down into smaller parts. It can also be helpful to consult textbooks or online resources for similar examples or to seek help from a teacher or tutor.

How can I check if my answer to a physics problem is correct?

To check if your answer to a physics problem is correct, you can use the given information and your calculated answer to see if they match up. You can also use dimensional analysis to ensure that your units are correct. Another helpful method is to plug your answer back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the given conditions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics problems include not understanding the given information, using incorrect equations or formulas, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and make sure your units are consistent. Additionally, be aware of any potential conceptual errors, such as mixing up vectors and scalars or neglecting important factors in a problem.