Completely Inelastic Collision: A block and a block with a spring

In summary, the conversation involves someone struggling with two similar problems and not being able to find their mistake after re-trying for a long time. The homework statement involves a collision between two blocks of different masses, with a spring attached to one of them. The equations used to solve the problem are listed and the solution attempt involves computing the kinetic energy before and after the collision, but the values used for the initial and final kinetic energies are incorrect.
brendan3eb
I actually have two problems that I have been struggling with that are very similar, so I believe that I am making the same incorrect assumption for both problems, but I am at that point where I have been re-trying the problems for so long that I do not think I am going to find my mistake.

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1=2.0 kg slides along a frictionless table with a speed of 10 m/s. Directly in front of it, and moving in the same direction, is a block of mass m2=5.0 kg moving at 3.0 m/s. A massless spring with spring constant k=1120 N/m is attached to the near side of m2, as shown in Fig. 10-35. When the blocks collide, what is the maximum compression of the spring? (Hint: At the moment of maximum compression of the spring, the two blocks move as one. Find the velocity by noting that the collision is completely inelastic at this point.)

Homework Equations

m1v1i+m2v2i=(m1+m2)v
K2-K1=W
W=(1/2)kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

m1=2.0 kg
v1i=10 m/s
m2=5.0 kg
v2i=3 m/s
k=1120 N/m
Pi=Mv
m1v1i+m2v2i=(m1+m2)v1
v1=(m1v1i+m2v2i)/(m1+m2)
v1=(2*10+5*3)/(2+5)=5 m/s
K2-K1=W
(1/2)m1(v1)^2-(1/2)m1(v1i)^2=-(1/2)kx^2
(1/2)s cancel out
(2)(5)^2-(2)(10)^2=-(1120)(x)^2
x^2=.134
x=.37 m

It looks as though all the units cancel out right and I do not have to convert any the units.

Physics news on Phys.org
re-tried it a few more times to no avail

Your problem is with computing the energies.

Before the collision, what is the total kinetic energy of the two blocks?
After the collisiion, what is the total kinetic energy of the two blocks?

The difference equals (1/2)kx^2, but both your initial and final KE's are wrong.

What is a completely inelastic collision?

A completely inelastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects stick together after impact and move as one mass. This results in a loss of kinetic energy and the formation of a new combined object.

How is momentum conserved in a completely inelastic collision?

In a completely inelastic collision, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. However, the kinetic energy of the system is not conserved due to the loss of energy during the collision.

What role does the spring play in a completely inelastic collision?

The spring in a completely inelastic collision acts as a force that brings the two objects together and allows them to stick together after impact. This force also helps to absorb some of the kinetic energy during the collision.

Is a completely inelastic collision the same as a perfectly inelastic collision?

No, a completely inelastic collision and a perfectly inelastic collision are not the same. In a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects stick together and move as one mass, but there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the two objects stick together without any deformation or loss of energy.

What are some real-life examples of completely inelastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of completely inelastic collisions include a car accident in which the cars stick together after impact, a hammer hitting a nail, or a person catching a ball and bringing it to a stop.