Radioactive reactions -half-life Decay physics 30

In summary, the conversation is about the decay equation for iodine-131, a radioactive element used in medical diagnosis and treatment. The question asks for the complete decay equation, which could refer to either A(t) = A(0)exp(-lambda*t) or a series of radioactive elements. The confusion arises from the mention of beta decay and half-life. It is ultimately determined that the first equation is likely what is being asked for.
cathoderay
1. hi i would like to now how i could do this?
the question says:
iodine-131 is a radiactive element used in the medical diagnosis and treatment of thyroid problems. iodine-131 undergoes simultaneous beta and gamma decay and has a half-life of 8.00 days.

2.im ask to write the complete decay equation for iodine-131

3. i know the formula for the life time is N=No(1/2)^n and n=time after/half-life...T(1/2)
but I am not sure if that's the equation to do the decay...
...or the complete decay equation they are asking for is a series of radioactive elements.. like the folowing
ex: 226 Ra--->222 Rn + 4 He
... 88....86...2

if is as the example I am not sure how to do it..could someone explain me how could i do it ? thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cathoderay said:
...or the complete decay equation they are asking for is a series of radioactive elements.. like the folowing
ex: 226 Ra--->222 Rn + 4 He
... 88....86...2

if is as the example I am not sure how to do it..could someone explain me how could i do it ? thanks

Yes, this is what they are asking.

If an electron is emitted by the nucleus, what happens to the atomic number?

Since they mention it's a beta emitter, but also mention the half life, I can see the confusion. Typically, in health physics and nuclear engineering, when asked for the decay equation for a radioactive element, it's asking for A(t) = A(0)exp(-lambda*t). However, it (i.e., the decay equation) is sometimes used in the second manner, as pointed out by Shooting star. I suppose it depends on the chapter of the book you're using. From the title of your post, it says half life decay, so I would go with the first

After reading the original post once more, I agree with user daveb. Sorry for misleading the OP a bit.

1. What is a radioactive reaction?

A radioactive reaction is a process in which an unstable atomic nucleus releases energy in the form of radiation, resulting in the transformation of the nucleus into a more stable state.

2. What is half-life in radioactive decay?

Half-life is the time it takes for half of the radioactive atoms in a sample to decay and transform into a more stable form. This is a constant value for a specific isotope and can be used to determine the age of a sample.

3. How is the half-life of a radioactive substance determined?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is determined through experimentation, by measuring the rate of decay of a sample over a specified period of time and calculating the time it takes for half of the sample to decay.

4. What is the role of physics in understanding radioactive decay?

Physics plays a crucial role in understanding radioactive decay as it involves the study of the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. The principles of quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and thermodynamics are all essential in understanding the mechanisms and characteristics of radioactive decay.

5. How is knowledge of radioactive decay used in various fields?

Knowledge of radioactive decay has many practical applications in different fields such as medicine, energy production, and environmental studies. For example, in medicine, radioactive isotopes can be used in imaging and cancer treatment, while in energy production, nuclear reactors utilize the energy released from radioactive decay to generate electricity.