Finding a Parabola using three points, no equations

In summary, the person is asking for help with finding the standard form and vertex form of a parabola using three given points. They are familiar with the equations and forms, but are struggling to get the correct answers. They are wondering if there is another method to solve the problem.
DarlingAly
Can someone help me with this problem? I already turned it in, knowing it was wrong, and now I want to know how to do it.

they gave me three points and no equations and expected me to find the standard form and vertex form of the parabola. i don't remember what the points were, so let's just say they were (-1, 0), (3,2), (4,1)

How would you find the two equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, it helps to know what the "standard form" and "vertex form" for a parabola are! The "standard form" for a parabola (with vertical axis of symmetry) is y= ax2+ bx+ c and the "vertex form" is y= a(x- x0)+ y0. For the first, you need to find a, b, and c. For the second, you need to find a, x0, and y0.

In either case use the points you are given to replace x and y in the equation: saying that (-1, 0) is a point on the parabola means that x= -1, y= 0 satify the equation:
0= a(-1)2+ b(-1)+ c. For (3, 2), 2= a(3)2+ b(3)+ c, and for (4, 1), 1= a(4)2+ b(4)+ c. That gives you 3 equations to solve for a, b, and c.

You can do exactly the same thing with the vertex form to find a, x0, and y0.

(If the axis of symmetry is not vertical, 3 points are not enough to determine the equation.)

Yeah I knew the standard form and the vertex form. I also knew the equations. It's just that I kept getting fractions while everyone else got the vertex to be a (3, -5) with the numbers i can't remember.. haha

I just wanted to know if anyone did it different.
Thanks!

1. How can I find a parabola using three points without using equations?

To find a parabola using three points without using equations, you can use the method of "vertex form". This involves finding the coordinates of the vertex and using them to determine the equation of the parabola.

2. What are the three points needed to find a parabola?

The three points needed to find a parabola are any three non-collinear points on the curve of the parabola. These points should be distinct and not lie on the same line.

3. Can I use any three points to find a parabola?

No, you cannot use any three points to find a parabola. The three points must be non-collinear and lie on the curve of the parabola. If the points are not on the parabola, the resulting equation will not accurately represent the curve.

4. Is it possible to find a unique parabola using three points?

Yes, it is possible to find a unique parabola using three points. This is because three points determine a unique parabola. However, if the three points are collinear, then the resulting equation will be a straight line instead of a parabola.

5. Can I find the equation of a parabola using only two points?

No, you cannot find the equation of a parabola using only two points. Two points do not provide enough information to determine the shape and position of the parabola. Three points are needed to find a unique parabola.