Graduate School for Engineering

In summary, straight to workforce seems like the best option for me because of the increased salary potential and the chance to explore different fields of interest.
tyro1
I really have no doubt that I will attend graduate school some time or another in my life. My question is about the choice of attending it straight out of undergrad, or after having worked for a few years.

I am on a co-op term, and I will return to my 4th year at a Canadian university this september. I will be faced with the decision soon enough.

Things going on in my head
Grad School pro:
1.More school! Yay!
2.prospects of ending up with a better career!
3.full funding, only condition being acceptance, and possible scholarship if my grades are high enough
4. Finish my Graduate degree earlier

Straight to Workforce pro:
1. Break from School!
2. Chance to explore fields of interest
3. Salary will be significantly higher than graduate school funding
4. boring job (most likely)

What other pros to each side should I consider?
Care to provide any life examples?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
One thing that pushed me was the research. When many people get their masters later in life, they do it while working a job. So, they end up doing the class-only option which excludes (for the most part) any type of research.

The research was what I really wanted to do, so that's why I went straight in after undergrad.

It is best to do it straight out of school at least for a Masters.

You have to realize this when you get a Masters you will most likely get a better salary earlier on in your career. If you calculate how much this ends up at accumulatively at the end of your career then it could be in the 100,000's.

Plus ones you have a job you will adapt a lifestyle conform to your salary. It will be very hard to go back and give that up for school again.

Is there a general expectation from the university for Research Masters student to go into PhD when they finish their masters? At any rate I guess they can't force me to stay.

Thanks for your tips, It does seem like the general consensus is to go straight into grad school. Especially when it comes to getting reference letters.

I thought of a new question to ask. Is there a significant difference in perceived value between a Masters and a PhD when employers are looking at new hires?

Reason why I as is that I've seen research positions that ask "Masters OR PhD" as if they don't see much difference between the two.

There IS a huge difference do. Although not all jobs require a PhD, for some either or will do. A PhD will allow you to do more R&D type work either at a big business (GE, Rolls Royce, GM etc) or at any of our national labs (Lawrence Livermore, Argonne, GPL ..etc). Now a Masters will not be sufficient for these jobs (typically).
Now, in my personal opinion, a PhD should not purely be done as a career move but also should be coming from a passion for the topic.

yea, you are right, That is one of the things I am worried about when choosing area of research in grad school. I may like the sound of a research area, but once I get into it, I may not like it.

I think I will go for a masters first, and go out into the work place, try to find out about hot and interesting research fields, and If I decide I want to dedicate my life to a certain field, then I will go to grad school

thanks again for your advice.

1. What is the difference between a Master's and PhD in Engineering?

A Master's degree in Engineering typically takes 1-2 years to complete and focuses on advanced coursework and a research project. A PhD in Engineering, on the other hand, can take 4-6 years and requires original research and a dissertation. A PhD is necessary for those looking to pursue a career in academia or research.

2. How do I choose a specialization within Engineering for my graduate studies?

It is important to research and consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when choosing a specialization in Engineering. You can also talk to faculty and current graduate students in various departments to gain insight into different areas of study.

3. What are the admissions requirements for graduate school in Engineering?

Admissions requirements vary by program, but generally, applicants need a bachelor's degree in a related field, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a competitive GPA and GRE scores. Some programs may also require relevant work experience or a research background.

4. Is it necessary to have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering to pursue a graduate degree in the field?

No, it is not necessary to have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering to pursue a graduate degree in the field. Many programs accept students from diverse backgrounds, including those with degrees in related fields such as math, physics, or computer science.

5. What opportunities for funding and financial aid are available for graduate students in Engineering?

Many universities offer funding and financial aid options for graduate students in Engineering, such as teaching or research assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.