Electromagnetic field and LCD-TVs

In summary, medium tension electromagnetic fields do not cause permanent damage to LCD TVs. However, electrical interference from other appliances may affect the signal circuitry. This is more likely to come from noisy electrical motors in appliances like fridges rather than power cables in the wall.
ftnunosilva
Can a medium tension electromagnetic field cause permanent damage to LCD tvs?

I am about to buy a LCD to my living room, but the builder said that, because of the electric cables in the wall having medium tension, it could cause an electric field that can ruin a LCD screen. Is this true?

If so, how far must I place de TV?

Thank you

Nuno Silva

Engineering news on Phys.org
No magnetic fields do not effect an LCD in the same way as a CRT.
Having said that, it is possible that electrical interference from other applicances could add noise to the signal circuitry in the TV.
This tends to be more of a problem from noisy electrical motors in things like fridges rather than power cables in the wall.

I can assure you that it is highly unlikely for a medium tension electromagnetic field to cause permanent damage to an LCD TV. LCD TVs are designed to be resistant to electromagnetic interference, and the electric fields generated by typical household wiring do not have enough energy to cause any damage.

However, it is important to note that the closer the TV is to the source of the electric field, the more likely it is for interference to occur. Therefore, it is recommended to place the TV at least a few feet away from any electrical cables or devices. This will help to reduce the risk of any potential interference.

Additionally, it is always a good idea to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for proper placement and use of the TV. This will ensure optimal performance and longevity of the device.

In summary, while it is possible for some interference to occur from nearby electrical fields, it is unlikely to cause permanent damage to your LCD TV. Proper placement and following the manufacturer's guidelines can help to minimize any potential interference.

1. What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a type of physical field that is created by electrically charged particles. It consists of both electric and magnetic components and is characterized by its strength and direction.

2. How do LCD-TVs use electromagnetic fields?

LCD-TVs use electromagnetic fields to display images. The liquid crystal display (LCD) screen contains tiny cells filled with liquid crystals that can change their alignment when exposed to an electric field. This allows for the creation of images on the screen.

3. Are there any health concerns related to electromagnetic fields from LCD-TVs?

There is no definitive evidence to suggest that the electromagnetic fields from LCD-TVs have any negative health effects on humans. The fields emitted by these devices are generally considered to be safe, but it is always recommended to limit exposure and maintain a safe distance from the screen.

4. Can electromagnetic fields interfere with other electronic devices?

Yes, electromagnetic fields from LCD-TVs can potentially interfere with other electronic devices such as cell phones or radios. This is why it is important to keep these devices at a safe distance from one another and avoid placing them too close to each other.

5. How can I minimize my exposure to electromagnetic fields from LCD-TVs?

To minimize exposure to electromagnetic fields from LCD-TVs, it is recommended to sit at least 6 feet away from the screen. You can also use a shielded HDMI cable to reduce the amount of electromagnetic radiation emitted from the TV. Additionally, turning off the TV when not in use can also help reduce exposure.