Calculating Tension in a Pulley System

In summary, a worker of mass 80kg stands in a platform of mass 40kg and pulls the platform up with an acceleration of 2.5ms^-2 using a smooth pulley as shown in the figure. The tension T in each side of the rope is equal to 1500, which is distributed throughout the string. This is because both ends of the string are attached to the man-platform body and the tension is the same throughout the string. This also shows that the man's force of T does T foot-pounds of work while the work done on the platform is 2T times half a foot-pound, resulting in no extra energy being used.
crays
Hello guys, i have a question i would like to ask.

A worker of mass 80kg stands in a platform of mass 40kg pulls the platform up with an acceleration of 2.5ms^-2 using a smooth pulley as shown in the figure. what is the tension T in each side of the rope (g = 10 ms^-2).

The figure : A man standing in a platform, the platform is attached to a string which is over a pulley and the man is pulling the other side of the string.

I thought of F-mg = ma
which will be
F = (120)(2.5) + 1200

but its wrong @_@.

Can someone tell me?

Physics news on Phys.org
from what i understand you took m=80+40.
but the man is not accerlerating, only the platform.
so m should be 40.
so the equations should look like this:
1) F=ma
2) F=T-mg
from here it's easy:
ma=T-mg
40*2.5=T-10*40
T=40*12.5
notice that i used a capital T to denote the tention in the rope. i used the capital F to denote the total force acting on the platform.

F=ma is Newton's law: ma=total force. this is the reason for eq. (1)
but the total force is the rope pulling up (T) and gravity pulling down(-mg). this is eq. (2)

crays said:
A worker of mass 80kg stands in a platform of mass 40kg pulls the platform up with an acceleration of 2.5ms^-2 using a smooth pulley as shown in the figure. what is the tension T in each side of the rope (g = 10 ms^-2).

I thought of F-mg = ma
which will be
F = (120)(2.5) + 1200

Hi crays! :smile:

Yes, your'e right, the man is accelerating with the platform.

And your F is correct.

But T is not equal to F.

You haven't drawn a proper diagram for yourself, have you?

Hint: treating the man-and-platform as one object, how many forces upward are there? :wink:

oops. looks like i read the data wrong!
sorry 'bout that :)

Thanks ! I've found the answer. But i don't understand why the tension 1500 is distributed to all over the string.

crays said:
Thanks ! I've found the answer. But i don't understand why the tension 1500 is distributed to all over the string.

Hi crays! :smile:

Just look at your diagram:

it should show that both ends of the string are attached to the man-platform body, both pulling vertically upwards;

the tension T is the same throughout the string ('cos that's the way strings work),

so there's a force T upward at both ends of the string, and both those forces are acting on the body. :smile:

(usually, the other end of the string is attached to something external, like a ceiling, so the force there isn't acting on the body at all)

Another way of looking at this is that there is gearing: when the man pulls the rope one foot, the platform only moves half a foot doesn't it?

How come the man exerts a force of T, but the platform moves under a force of 2T … where does the extra energy come from? :confused:

Because his force T does T foot-pounds of work, while the work done on the platform is 2T times half a foot-pound, which is the same … no extra energy! :smile:

Ah, thanks. Much more understandable.

1. How do I calculate the tension in a pulley system?

The tension in a pulley system can be calculated using the equation T = (m1 + m2) * g, where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (usually 9.8 m/s^2). It is important to note that this equation assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account friction or other external forces.

2. What is the difference between a fixed and movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force applied, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and reduces the amount of force needed to lift it. In a fixed pulley, the distance the object is lifted is equal to the distance the rope is pulled, while in a movable pulley, the object is lifted half the distance the rope is pulled.

3. How do pulleys affect the mechanical advantage of a system?

Pulleys can increase the mechanical advantage of a system by reducing the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. The more pulleys that are added to a system, the greater the mechanical advantage becomes. For example, a system with two pulleys will have a mechanical advantage of 2, meaning that the force needed to lift an object is half of its weight.

4. What are the main factors that affect the efficiency of a pulley system?

The efficiency of a pulley system is affected by several factors, including the number of pulleys, the weight of the load, the angle of the rope, and the amount of friction in the system. More pulleys generally lead to a higher efficiency, while heavier loads and greater angles of the rope can decrease efficiency. Friction can also greatly affect the efficiency of a pulley system.

5. How do I determine the direction of the force in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, the direction of the force is always opposite to the direction of motion of the object being lifted. This means that if the object is moving up, the force applied to the rope is down, and if the object is moving down, the force applied to the rope is up. This is due to the conservation of energy, where the work done by the force on one side of the pulley is equal to the work done by the force on the other side.