Do I need this circulation pump?

In summary, the conversation discusses a central heating system and the possibility of removing a twin pump. It is mentioned that two equally rated pumps in parallel will have a higher flow rate and that the designer may have had economic reasons in mind for using two smaller pumps. The conversation also mentions a primary-secondary pumping system and the importance of keeping water flowing at a consistent rate. It is suggested that the system could possibly be simplified by breaking the primary loop and removing the secondary pumps, using 3-way valves to regulate flow rate.
TSN79
The schematic shows a central heating system. I'm wondering if I can drop the twin pump? If each of the single pumps are powerfull enough to bring the water around through the heat exchanger then why do I need the twin pump?

Attachments

• Systemskjema.jpg
    Systemskjema.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 538
Engineering news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
The schematic shows a central heating system. I'm wondering if I can drop the twin pump? If each of the single pumps are powerfull enough to bring the water around through the heat exchanger then why do I need the twin pump?

It would depend on what flow rate you want. Two equally rated pumps in parallel will put out twice the volumetric flow rate of one. Perhaps the designer had economic reasons in mind (i.e. maybe it is less expensive to have two smaller pumps than one large pump).

CS

It's a primary-secondary pumping system. The double-pump keeps water flowing around that loop regardless of what the other loops are doing. That's important because some boilers don't like low flow rates.

It's a simple enough system, though, that I might be inclined to break the primary loop (just add a valve where it loops around), flip the valves around, and get rid of the secondary pumps! The 3-way valves will ensure you always get the same flow rate through the boiler regardless of if the flow is going out to your heating system. If the system is to be expanded later and/or if the boiler flow rate is higher than the heating system flow rate, you can use the valve added to the boiler loop to regulate that via balancing it for a certain bypass volume.

1. Do I really need a circulation pump in my system?

The answer depends on your specific system and its needs. In general, a circulation pump can help improve the overall efficiency and effectiveness of your system, especially in terms of temperature control and preventing stagnation. However, if your system already has good natural circulation, a pump may not be necessary.

2. What are the benefits of using a circulation pump?

A circulation pump can help improve the mixing and distribution of fluids in your system, which can lead to better temperature control and prevent stagnant areas. It can also help increase the efficiency of your system by reducing the amount of energy needed for fluid movement.

3. Will a circulation pump increase my energy consumption?

It is possible that a circulation pump may increase your energy consumption, but this will depend on the specific pump and its usage. Some pumps are designed to be energy-efficient, and the benefits of improved system performance may outweigh the additional energy consumption.

4. How do I choose the right circulation pump for my system?

When choosing a circulation pump, it is important to consider factors such as flow rate, head pressure, and energy efficiency. You should also consider the specific needs and requirements of your system to determine the best pump for your needs.

5. Can I install a circulation pump myself?

It is possible to install a circulation pump yourself, but it is recommended to consult a professional if you are not familiar with plumbing or electrical work. Improper installation can lead to safety hazards and potential damage to your system. It is best to have a professional assess your system and install the pump for optimal performance and safety.