Determining angle from initial velocity and distance

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the muzzle velocity and angle of a gun firing a round that travels 122 km in 170 seconds. The equations Vx = Vi(cos(theta)), Yx = Vi(sin(theta)), t= (-2Vy/-9.8), and D=(Vi2(sin(2theta)))/-9.8 are used to solve for the velocity and angle. One method involves finding the horizontal velocity of 717.647 and using the third equation to find the vertical velocity, which leads to a final vector of 1099.502752. However, using the fourth equation to find the angle results in two possible answers. Another method involves using Vx and Vy to draw a right triangle and using trigon
Planefreak

Homework Statement

A gun fires a round that goes 122 km in 170 seconds before impacting the ground. Ignore air resistance and the curvature of the earth. Find the muzzle velocity and angle.

Homework Equations

Vx = Vi(cos(theta)) Yx = Vi(sin(theta)) t= (-2Vy/-9.8) and D=(Vi2(sin(2theta)))/-9.8

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the correct muzzle velocity. Use distance 122*1000 then divide by time. This is horizontal velocity 717.647. Then use the third equation to find vertical. 170 = -2Vy/9.8.

Then use pythagorean to find final vector: 1099.502752

Now for the angle I used the fourth equation.

122000 = 1099.5027522(sin(2theta))/9.8

.9889931081 = sin(2theta)

40.74559192 degrees I guess this answer is wrong. I know the muzzle velocity is correct but according to the teacher it the angle is incorrect. Are my equations flawed or did I mess up?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with the method you used is, there are two different angles between 0 and 90 where sine(2theta)=0.98899...

How using Vx and Vy to draw a right triangle, then use trig to get the angle?

I got it. I used the Vx velocity which was easy to find then found the height assuming that it is landing at the same height and used tangent to find the final velocity vector. Thank you.

1. What is the formula for determining angle from initial velocity and distance?

The formula for determining angle from initial velocity and distance is θ = arctan(y/x), where θ is the angle, y is the vertical distance, and x is the horizontal distance.

2. How does initial velocity affect the angle?

The initial velocity affects the angle by changing the rate at which the object travels in the horizontal and vertical directions. A higher initial velocity will result in a flatter trajectory and a lower initial velocity will result in a steeper trajectory.

3. Can the angle be determined without knowing the initial velocity?

No, the angle cannot be determined without knowing the initial velocity. The initial velocity is a necessary component in the formula for determining the angle.

4. How does distance affect the angle?

The distance affects the angle by determining how far the object will travel in the horizontal direction. A longer distance will result in a flatter trajectory and a shorter distance will result in a steeper trajectory.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the determination of angle from initial velocity and distance?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the determination of angle from initial velocity and distance. These factors include air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the shape and weight of the object being launched.