How can I solve the complex number equation x^4 + 14 = 0?

In summary, z=-j sqrt(14). You can find the roots of unity by taking the square root of (-j sqrt(14)), which is j.
greg997
Hi there, I ve got problem with this equation.

x^4+ 14 = 0

I tried like this:

X^2 = z

z^2 +14 = 0
z^2 = -14
z= sqr-14
z= j 3.74

then back to x

x^2 = j.374

and now what can i do??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider using the roots of unity.

i.e.

[tex] x^4 - 14 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] x = e^\frac{2 \pi i k}{4} \sqrt[4]{14} ; k = 0, 1, 2, 3 [/tex]

That's from memory. You'll need to double check it.

Both are correct, these answers are the same.

Messed up again! greg997, I meant to click on quote but accidently clicked on "edit".
I hope I have re-established what you had originally.

greg997 said:
Hi there, I ve got problem with this equation.

x^4+ 14 = 0

I tried like this:

X^2 = z

z^2 +14 = 0
z^2 = -14
z= sqr-14
z= j 3.74
You should have z=-j sqrt(14).

then back to x

x^2 = j.374

and now what can i do??
The two sqrts of j are [itex]\sqrt{2}/2+ j\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] and [itex]-\sqrt{2}- j\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] and the two sqrts of -j are [itex]-\sqrt{2}/2+ j\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] and [itex]\sqsrt{2}/2- j\sqrt{2}/2[/itex]. Multiply those by the fourth root of 14..
The two sqrts of j are [itex]\sqrt{2}/2+ j\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] and [itex]-\sqrt{2}- j\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] and the two sqrts of -j are [itex]-\sqrt{2}/2+ j\sqrt{2}/2[/itex] and [itex]\sqsrt{2}/2- j\sqrt{2}/2[/itex]. Multiply those by the fourth root of 14.

How did I get those roots? Well, in the "complex plane", j is at (0,1). The square root will have the same modulus (1) and half the argument: 90 degrees becomes 45 degrees.

You can do like this:
x4=-14
so
[tex]x=\sqrt[4]{-14}[/tex]

In your case z=-14, so -14=-14+0*i

a=-14 ; b=0

Now [itex]r=\sqrt{(-14)^2+0^2}=14[/itex]

[tex]cos\alpha=\frac{a}{r}[/tex]

[tex]sin\alpha=\frac{b}{r}[/tex]

At this point you need to find the angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] and substitute in the formula below.

[tex]w_k=\sqrt[n]{r}(cos\frac{\alpha+2k\pi}{n}+isin\frac{\alpha+2k\pi}{n})[/tex] for k=0,1,2,...,n-1

Thanks everybody for these explanations. They really helped me.

What is a complex number equation?

A complex number equation is an equation that contains at least one complex number, which is a number that can be written in the form a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

How do you solve a complex number equation?

To solve a complex number equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms and isolating the variable. You can also use the quadratic formula or graphing techniques to find the solutions.

What are the applications of complex number equations?

Complex number equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving alternating current (AC) circuits, vibrations, and waves. They can also be used to represent and analyze complex systems and patterns.

What is the difference between a real and a complex number equation?

A real number equation contains only real numbers, while a complex number equation contains at least one complex number. Real numbers can be plotted on a number line, while complex numbers require a two-dimensional plane, known as the complex plane, for representation.

Are there any rules for working with complex number equations?

Yes, there are several rules for working with complex numbers, including the distributive property, the commutative property, and the associative property. Additionally, you can add, subtract, multiply, and divide complex numbers just like you would with real numbers.