How to find roll, pitch yaw

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the roll, pitch, and yaw values for an end effector of a robot arm given its x, y, z positions. It is suggested to use IK to determine if the values are possible and to identify the end and root points to define the plane for calculation. However, it is mentioned that the conversation may be missing a third point to fully determine the plane.
kumarpam
how to find roll, pitch yaw...

given an x,y,z position for the end of an robot arm(end effector), is there any way to find the roll, pitch and yaw for it...Given access to entire history of x-y-z positions. I'll be using IK then to evaluate whether these values are possible or not. All I need to find is just some 'correct' value for them...

any pointers for how to compute the roll-pitch-yaw values...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Correct me if I'm wrong, but roll, pitch and yaw apply to a plane. You need 3 points to define a plane. You identify one, the end of the robot arm. A second point would be the root of the arm. Looks to me like you are one point short.

1. What is roll, pitch, and yaw?

Roll, pitch, and yaw are the three rotations that define the orientation of an object in 3D space. Roll refers to the rotation around the x-axis, pitch refers to the rotation around the y-axis, and yaw refers to the rotation around the z-axis.

2. How is roll, pitch, and yaw measured?

Roll, pitch, and yaw can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a gyroscope or an accelerometer. These devices measure the angular velocity or acceleration of an object and can be used to calculate the roll, pitch, and yaw angles.

3. Why is knowing roll, pitch, and yaw important?

Roll, pitch, and yaw are important for understanding the orientation and movement of objects in 3D space. They are commonly used in fields like robotics, aviation, and video game development to control and track the movements of objects.

4. How can I find roll, pitch, and yaw from sensor data?

To find roll, pitch, and yaw from sensor data, you will need to use mathematical formulas or algorithms to convert the sensor readings into the corresponding angles. This process may vary depending on the type of sensor and the specific application.

5. Can roll, pitch, and yaw be used to determine the position of an object?

No, roll, pitch, and yaw alone cannot determine the position of an object. They only describe the orientation of an object in 3D space. To determine the position of an object, you will also need to consider its translation or movement in addition to its rotation.