Ball rolling up an incline Final Exam Review

In summary, the problem involves a ball rolling up a straight incline with dots on a diagram representing its position every 4 seconds. The instantaneous velocities at the second and third dots are given. To solve part A, the average acceleration is calculated and used to find the velocities at the first and fourth dots. For part B, the distance traveled between the second and third dots is found using the equation vf2=vi2+2a(delta x). For part C, the total time it takes the ball to roll up the incline is found using the equation vf=vi+a(delta T). The final answers for all parts are: VDot 1=9m/s, VDot 4=3m/s, distance between V
charan1

Homework Statement

A ball rolls up a straight incline. The dots in the diagram represent the position of the ball every 4 seconds.
(The fourth dot is not intended to represent the turnaround point; the ball might still be on the way up at that
point.) The instantaneous velocities at the second and third dots are as given in the diagram.

a. Determine the velocities at the locations of the first and fourth dots and label them on the diagram. (2 points)

b. Determine how far the ball travels between the second and third dots. (3 points)

(IMAGE attached!)

Homework Equations

aavg= Delta V/ Delta T

The Attempt at a Solution

I am kind of stumped at this problem and not sure where to begin or how to get where I'm trying to go, all I could think to do was this...then I wasn't sure where to go from there.

(5m/s2 + 7m/s2) / 2 = Delta V/(8s-4s)

Delta V = 24m/s

Please help! thank you

Attachments

• Sample Exam 1 Question 4 figure.jpg
    Sample Exam 1 Question 4 figure.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 590
Physics news on Phys.org
woops! those are not accelerations they are velocities! sorry I will return when I attempt to figure it out again!

also adding to the question

Part C:
Determine the total time it takes the ball to roll up the incline, from the bottom to the turnaround point.

Part A:
Equations:
Vf=Vi+a(delta T)
aavg=D=(delta V)/(delta T)

VDot 2=7m/s
VDot 3=5m/s

aavg=(5m/s-7m/s)/(8s-4s)=-.5m/s2

VDot 2=VDot 1+(-.5m/s/s)(4s-0s)
VDot 1=9m/s

VDot 4=VDot 3+(-.5m/s/s)(12s-8s)
VDot 4=3m/s

Part B:

Equation:
vf2=vi2+2a(delta x)

52=72+2(-.5m/s/s)(delta x)
(Delta x)=24m

Part C:

Equation:
vf=vi+a(delta T)

vf=0m/s
vi=9m/s
a=-.5m/s/s
(delta T)=?

0m/s=(9m/s)+(-.5m/s/s)(delta T)

(delta T)=18s

Please check thank you!

1. How does the angle of incline affect the speed of the ball?

The angle of incline does not affect the speed of the ball, but it does affect the acceleration. The steeper the incline, the greater the acceleration of the ball.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of the ball and its acceleration up the incline?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, the greater the mass of the ball, the smaller its acceleration up the incline.

3. How does friction impact the motion of the ball up the incline?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion, so it will slow down the ball as it rolls up the incline. The amount of friction depends on the surface of the incline and the force applied to the ball.

4. Can you determine the final velocity of the ball at the top of the incline?

Yes, the final velocity of the ball at the top of the incline can be calculated using the equations of motion, taking into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and distance traveled.

5. What is the significance of the potential energy of the ball at the top of the incline?

The potential energy of the ball at the top of the incline represents the work done on the ball to move it to that position. It can be converted into kinetic energy as the ball rolls down the incline.