Reference Books for Embedded & Hardware Design

In summary, the person is looking for recommendations on good quality reference books to refresh their knowledge on hardware design. They have recently graduated and are struggling with the fundamentals of hardware design, such as transistors, diodes, and op-amps. They are seeking suggestions from the forum and have been recommended to start with the AoE by H&H.
bignick270
I would appreciate it if anyone could add good quality reference books that would benefit me. I graduated in May and I have forgotten a lot of the material especially hardware design wise and my job is a mixture of embedded design and hardware design.

The embedded side I am doing fine but hardware wise I am drawing blanks especially with the fundamentals such as transistors, diodes, and op-amps.

There are a ton of books out there so I am going to try this forum to see if anyone has a favorite.

Engineering news on Phys.org
bignick270 said:
I would appreciate it if anyone could add good quality reference books that would benefit me. I graduated in May and I have forgotten a lot of the material especially hardware design wise and my job is a mixture of embedded design and hardware design.

The embedded side I am doing fine but hardware wise I am drawing blanks especially with the fundamentals such as transistors, diodes, and op-amps.

There are a ton of books out there so I am going to try this forum to see if anyone has a favorite.

You can start with the AoE by H&H, and branch out from there:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178516

As a scientist with experience in embedded and hardware design, I completely understand the need for reference books to refresh your knowledge and stay updated in the field. Here are some recommendations that I believe will benefit you:

1. "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill - This is a classic reference book for anyone involved in electronics design. It covers a wide range of topics, from basic principles to advanced techniques, with clear explanations and practical examples.

2. "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk - This book is great for beginners and covers the basics of electronics design, including transistors, diodes, and op-amps, in an easy-to-understand manner.

3. "Embedded Systems: Real-Time Interfacing to ARM Cortex-M Microcontrollers" by Jonathan Valvano - This book is specifically focused on embedded systems design and provides a comprehensive guide to programming microcontrollers and interfacing with peripherals.

4. "The Hardware Hacker: Adventures in Making and Breaking Hardware" by Andrew "bunnie" Huang - This book offers a unique perspective on hardware design and delves into the creative and unconventional aspects of the field.

5. "Analog Circuit Design: A Tutorial Guide to Applications and Solutions" by Bob Dobkin and Jim Williams - This book is a valuable resource for analog design, covering topics such as amplifiers, filters, and signal conditioning.

I hope these recommendations help you in your quest for reference books. Remember to also utilize online resources, such as forums and tutorials, to supplement your learning. Best of luck in your career!

1. What are reference books for embedded and hardware design?

Reference books for embedded and hardware design are books that provide detailed information and guidance on the design and development of embedded systems and hardware components. These books cover topics such as microcontrollers, circuit design, programming languages, and more.

2. Are reference books for embedded and hardware design only for experienced engineers?

No, reference books for embedded and hardware design can be useful for both experienced engineers and beginners. These books often provide a comprehensive introduction to the fundamentals of embedded systems and hardware design, making them accessible to those with little or no prior experience in the field.

3. Can reference books for embedded and hardware design be used for self-study?

Yes, reference books for embedded and hardware design can be used for self-study. These books are designed to be comprehensive and self-contained, providing all the necessary information and resources for individuals to learn and improve their skills in embedded and hardware design.

4. How can I choose the right reference book for embedded and hardware design?

Choosing the right reference book for embedded and hardware design will depend on your specific needs and goals. Some factors to consider include the level of detail and technicality, the author's expertise and credibility, and the relevance of the book's content to your specific project or area of interest. It is recommended to read reviews and previews of the book before making a purchase.

5. Are reference books for embedded and hardware design constantly updated?

Yes, reference books for embedded and hardware design are often updated to keep up with the rapidly changing technology and industry standards. It is important to check the publication date of the book and look for any new editions or updates to ensure that you have the most recent information and resources.