Yellow fungus/mold on soil in container plant

In summary, the individual has an orange tree growing in a pot and has noticed yellow growth on the soil. They have checked their books but cannot find any information on it. The plant does not seem to be affected, but they are wondering if it is a problem and if it will spread to other plants. An image is not available yet, but it may be a form of yellow moss. The individual suggests removing the plant from the pot, checking the root system, and using a mixture of cider vinegar and water to clean the pot before repotting with fresh soil.
NeoDevin
I have an orange tree growing in a pot, and lately the soil has been getting some yellow growth of some sort on it. I can't seem to find anything about it in any of my books. The plant doesn't appear to be adversely affected. Any ideas what it is? Is it a problem? Will it spread to my other plants?

Attachments

• 102_2713.jpg
    102_2713.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,008
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Remove the plant from the pot. Remove the top 2 inches of soil, might as well check to see if its root-bound at this point. Spray the root ball with a mixture of 1/4 cup of cider vinegar mixed with 1/2 gallon of water{which should be room temperature}.
Scrub the pot with a brush, very hot water and more vinegar. Re-pot using a good quality potting soil.

1. What is yellow fungus/mold on soil in container plant?

Yellow fungus or mold on soil in a container plant is a type of fungal growth that appears on the surface of the soil in potted plants. It is characterized by its bright yellow color and can often be mistaken for pollen or fertilizer.

2. Is yellow fungus/mold harmful to my plants?

In most cases, yellow fungus/mold is not harmful to plants. It typically only grows on the surface of the soil and does not harm the roots or foliage of the plant. However, if the fungus/mold begins to spread or cover a large portion of the soil, it can compete with the plant for nutrients and water, potentially causing harm.

3. What causes yellow fungus/mold to grow on soil in container plants?

Yellow fungus/mold on soil in container plants is often caused by excess moisture in the soil. This can be due to overwatering or poor drainage in the pot. The fungus/mold thrives in damp, dark environments, making potted plants a perfect breeding ground.

4. How can I get rid of yellow fungus/mold on my potted plants?

The best way to get rid of yellow fungus/mold on potted plants is to remove the affected soil and replace it with fresh, dry soil. Be sure to also address the underlying cause of the excess moisture, such as adjusting your watering habits or improving drainage in the pot. You can also use a fungicide specifically designed for houseplants to prevent the fungus/mold from returning.

5. Can yellow fungus/mold be a sign of a larger problem with my plant?

In some cases, yellow fungus/mold on soil in container plants can be a sign of a larger problem with the plant, such as root rot or a fungal infection. If the fungus/mold continues to grow or appears to be affecting the health of the plant, it is best to consult a plant expert for further diagnosis and treatment.