Thermodynamics: Adiabatic Compression

In summary, the conversation was about finding the final temperature and pressure of air being compressed adiabatically in the engine of a Ferrari F355 F1 sports car. The equations used were T1V1^(γ-1)=T2V2^(γ-1) and P1V1^γ=P2V2^γ. The solution involved setting V1 to 1 and using the compression ratio of V2=0.09V1 to find the final temperature in Kelvin.
Wobble

Homework Statement

The engine of a Ferrari F355 F1 sports car takes in air at 20.0 *C and 1.00 atm and compresses it adiabatically to 0.0900 times the original volume. The air may be treated as an ideal gas with [tex]\gamma[/tex] = 1.40.

Find Final Temp and Final Pressure

Homework Equations

Equation 1
T1V1[tex]\gamma[/tex]-1=T2V2[tex]\gamma[/tex]-1

Equation 2
P1V1[tex]\gamma[/tex]=P2V2[tex]\gamma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving Equation 1 for T2 gives:
T2= T1(V1/V2)[tex]\gamma[/tex]-1

Solving Equation 2 for P2 looks the same, except it is only raised to [tex]\gamma[/tex]

The value for V1 isn't know, but V2=.09V1

I substituted this value of V2 into Equation 1, and canceled V1 (because it was divided by itself), and got the answer of 54.4. This number is way too low, because this is an engine we're talking about.

I'm not sue how to continue the problem. Do I need to take a square root (or I guess in this case the "gamma root"), to cancel out the gamma exponent, and solved for V1?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know:

V1 and V2 as you know the compression ratio from V2 = 0.09 V1. The actual values don't matter, its only the ratio that does. So you can set V1 to 1.

From this you can find T directly.

Hint:

What temperature scale are you meant to be using?

It's supposed to be in Kelvin? I feel dumb now.

I got them both. Thank you for your help.

1. What is adiabatic compression?

Adiabatic compression is a process in thermodynamics where the volume of a gas is decreased without any heat transfer occurring between the gas and its surroundings. This results in an increase in temperature and pressure of the gas.

2. What is the equation for adiabatic compression?

The equation for adiabatic compression is P1V1^γ = P2V2^γ, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume of the gas, P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume of the gas, and γ is the adiabatic index or ratio of specific heats.

3. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic compression?

Some real-life examples of adiabatic compression include the internal combustion engine in a car, where the fuel-air mixture is compressed and ignited to produce energy, and the compression of air in a bicycle pump, where the rapid pumping action increases the temperature and pressure of the air inside.

4. What is the significance of adiabatic compression in thermodynamics?

Adiabatic compression is important in thermodynamics because it helps us understand and analyze the behavior of gases under changing conditions. It also has applications in various industries, such as in the design of engines and compressors.

5. How does adiabatic compression differ from isothermal compression?

Adiabatic compression differs from isothermal compression in that no heat is transferred in adiabatic compression, while in isothermal compression, the temperature of the gas remains constant as it is compressed. This leads to different changes in pressure and volume for the two processes.