Drinking water should be avoided after eating the mango

• Thread starter peeyush_ali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, there are precautions to be taken when consuming unripe mangoes, such as avoiding excessive intake and not drinking water immediately after eating due to the irritant and astringent nature of the sap. However, ripe mangoes are generally safe to consume and can be enjoyed without needing water. Some people even enjoy eating unripe mangoes with salt.
peeyush_ali
why are we often told while eating a mango that drinking water should be avoided after eating the mango..?

Biology news on Phys.org

Hmm...I've never heard that before.

Well http://unitedcanada.org/fruits/mango.doc. is one explanation, for what it is worth:

Precautions

Unripe mangoes should not be eaten in excess. Their excessive intake may cause throat irritation, indigestion, dysentery and abdominal colic. One should, therefore, not consume more than one or two green mangoes daily. Avoid drinking water immediately after eating the green mango because it coagulates the sap and makes it more irritant. Sap or milky juice which comes out on breaking the stalk of the green mango is irritant and astringent. Eating green mangoes without draining the sap may cause mouth , throat and gastro intestinal irritations.

Identical http://flavoursofindia.tripod.com/mango2.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Why would you eat a green mango? I bought one once that wasn't ripe enough when I cut it, and I couldn't get past the first bite.

On the other hand, when eating a nice ripe one, it's so juicy that you're not likely to need water.

I "love" green mangoes. I will eat a green mango if I can buy it in the supermarket soon (a month or two later). I eat it with salt!

1. Why should drinking water be avoided after eating mango?

According to traditional belief, drinking water after eating mango can cause an imbalance in the body's temperature and lead to health issues. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim.

2. Is it safe to drink water after eating mango?

Yes, it is safe to drink water after eating mango. In fact, drinking water helps with digestion and can prevent constipation, which is a common side effect of eating mango.

3. Can drinking water after eating mango cause stomach ache?

No, drinking water after eating mango does not cause stomach ache. In fact, mangoes are high in fiber and drinking water can help with digestion, reducing the chances of stomach ache.

4. Does drinking water after eating mango reduce its nutritional value?

No, drinking water after eating mango does not reduce its nutritional value. Mangoes are a good source of vitamins and minerals, and drinking water does not affect their nutritional content.

5. When is the best time to drink water after eating mango?

The best time to drink water after eating mango is when you feel thirsty. It is important to stay hydrated throughout the day, so listen to your body's signals and drink water accordingly.