What is all about cryptozoology

• Thread starter peeyush_ali
  • Start date
In summary, cryptozoology is the study of hidden or unknown animals, such as Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster. It relies heavily on legends, folklore, and alleged sightings, and is not a recognized branch of zoology. Some institutes that study cryptozoology include Cryptozoology.com and Skepdic.com. Despite its entertaining nature, cryptozoology has been compared to psi research due to its focus on establishing the existence of creatures rather than examining actual animals.
peeyush_ali
what is all about "cryptozoology"

what is all about "cryptozoology" ? Is this branch of science really studies about the abonible beings ever existed on the earth? And where are the studies going on..? i mean the institutes..could you name few of them please..? thanks in advance..

Biology news on Phys.org

It is entertaining..thanks

http://www.skepdic.com/crypto.html

Cryptozoology is, literally, the study of hidden animals. It is the study of such creatures as the Australian bunyip, Bigfoot, the chupacabra, and the Loch Ness monster. It is not a recognized branch of the science of zoology.

Cryptozoology relies heavily upon testimonials and circumstantial evidence in the form of legends and folklore, and the stories and alleged sightings of mysterious beasts by indigenous peoples, explorers, and travelers. Since cryptozoologists spend most of their energy trying to establish the existence of creatures, rather than examining actual animals, they are more akin to psi researchers than to zoologists.

Just for fun, I read an actual cryptozoology book once. Reporting sightings of the Loch Ness monster, there were three ratings for sightings: "Confirmed", "Unconfirmed" and "other". Not sure how a sighting can neigher confirmed nor unconfirmed. I'm pretty sure they didn't add up to %100 either.

I've read about some too, but i guess its possible for something to exist but still, how can they stay hidden for such a long time.

1. What is cryptozoology?

Cryptozoology is the study of creatures or animals that are rumored to exist, but have not been proven by science. These creatures are often referred to as "cryptids" and are believed to live in hidden or remote areas of the world.

2. What is the purpose of cryptozoology?

The purpose of cryptozoology is to investigate and gather evidence for the existence of cryptids. This field of study aims to bridge the gap between folklore and science by using scientific methods to study and potentially discover new species.

3. How is cryptozoology different from traditional zoology?

Cryptozoology differs from traditional zoology in that it focuses on studying animals that have not yet been acknowledged by science. Traditional zoology mainly focuses on the study of known and documented animal species.

4. What are some examples of cryptids?

Some well-known examples of cryptids include Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and the Yeti. Other lesser-known cryptids include the Chupacabra, the Mothman, and the Jersey Devil.

5. Is cryptozoology considered a legitimate science?

Cryptozoology is a controversial topic in the scientific community and is not widely accepted as a legitimate science. Some argue that it lacks empirical evidence and relies too heavily on anecdotal stories and sightings. However, others argue that it is a legitimate field of study that can potentially lead to the discovery of new species.