What Is Tolerance? Understanding Resistors & Caps

• Thread starter trashman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tolerance
In summary, the speaker is discussing their confusion about a value associated with resistors and their inability to find information about it on Google. They mention the concept of tolerance and provide an example of a resistor with a 10% tolerance. They also reference a Wikipedia page on electronic color code for more information.
trashman
I usually see it when I'm looking at stuff with with caps and resistors, but have no idea what it is, and i can't respect a value if i don't know what it is. i did a quick google and didnt find anything, maybe I am just not looking hard enough, but i thought i would ask

Engineering news on Phys.org
trashman said:
I usually see it when I'm looking at stuff with with caps and resistors, but have no idea what it is, and i can't respect a value if i don't know what it is. i did a quick google and didnt find anything, maybe I am just not looking hard enough, but i thought i would ask

A resistor has a resistance with a margin of error called tolerance. It is usually 5, 10 or 20%. So, a 100 Ohm resistor with a tolerance of 10% might have an actual resistance anywhere from 90 to 110 Ohms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_color_code#Resistor.2C_capacitor_and_inductor"

Last edited by a moderator:

Tolerance is a term used to describe the acceptable range of variation in a component's value. In the context of resistors and capacitors, tolerance refers to how much the actual value of the component can deviate from its stated or desired value. This is important because even small variations in a component's value can affect the performance of a circuit. For example, a resistor with a tolerance of 5% means that the actual resistance can vary by up to 5% from the stated value. Similarly, a capacitor with a tolerance of 10% means that the actual capacitance can vary by up to 10% from the desired value. It is important to take into account the tolerance of components when designing circuits to ensure that the overall performance is not significantly affected.

1. What is tolerance in the context of resistors and capacitors?

Tolerance refers to the allowable deviation from the stated value of a resistor or capacitor. It is usually expressed as a percentage and indicates how much the actual value of the component may vary from the ideal value.

2. How is tolerance specified for resistors and capacitors?

Tolerance is typically specified as a plus or minus value, such as +/- 5%. This means that the actual value of the component can vary by 5% in either direction from the stated value. So, for a 1 kΩ resistor with a +/- 5% tolerance, the actual resistance could be anywhere between 950 Ω and 1050 Ω.

3. Why is tolerance important in electronic circuits?

Tolerance is important because it ensures that the components used in a circuit are reliable and consistent. If a component has a wide tolerance, it could significantly affect the performance of the circuit and potentially cause it to fail. Therefore, selecting components with the appropriate tolerance is crucial for the proper functioning of electronic circuits.

4. How does tolerance affect the cost of resistors and capacitors?

In general, components with tighter tolerances are more expensive than those with wider tolerances. This is because tighter tolerances require more precise manufacturing processes, which can increase the production cost. However, for some applications, the cost of using components with tighter tolerances may be worth it to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the circuit.

5. Can tolerance be adjusted or changed in a resistor or capacitor?

No, tolerance is a fixed property of a component and cannot be adjusted or changed. However, you can select components with different tolerances for your circuit, depending on your specific requirements. In some cases, you can also use multiple components in parallel or series to achieve a desired tolerance range.