Decision making, after graduating. PHY, MAT, and MET.

• Thread starter vwishndaetr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decision
In summary, individuals with a degree in Physics, Mathematics, and Meteorology have a variety of career options available to them, such as working as a research scientist, data analyst, meteorologist, or in the renewable energy industry. Having knowledge in these fields can help with critical thinking and decision making, but common challenges may include dealing with large amounts of data and accounting for uncertainty and variability. To improve decision making skills, one can practice critical thinking, stay updated on current developments, and seek guidance from professionals. It is important to also consider ethical considerations when making decisions in these fields, such as the potential impact on people and the environment, accuracy, and transparency.
vwishndaetr
Hello :).

I came across this forum a while back when I was looking for help on a certain problem, and google directed me to a thread here. Well, was not until yesterday I believe that I decided to sign up. I think the homework help section is great, loads of informative threads are available, and the abundance of material is great in regards to being able to review material taken in the past.

Also, I looked through many threads and couldn't decide whether this fit better here or in the Career section. So forgive me and move if need be.

Now, here is my situation.

Fall of 07 I started college and decided to major in Mechanical Engineering Technology. Unfortunately the school I went to did not have an ME degree, but only an MET degree. I will also admit that I only got accepted into a local college due to being a slack in high school and having nothing to support me upon getting into a better school. I also, did not know there was an MET and ME difference.

Anyways, I started off in MET and decided to pick up on a math minor because I always loved math. About a semester later, I picked up on a physics minor which was recommended by a physics professor. He explained a few of the upper level physics classes, and I couldn't pass it up. Not long after that my math minor escalated to a math major. At this point, I completed my physics minor, but am still taking physics classes. Unfortunately my school does not offer a physics major, but technically after this year I will be 12 credits shy of a physics major.

There are too many things that interest me. Physics is amazing, and sometimes I get heart rushes when I think of things. Special Theory of Relativity dazzles my mind. Quantum Mechanics dazzles my mind. Classical Mechanics dazzles my mind. Astronomy dazzles my mind. But I know there will come a period where I have to settle on one topic. And this is where some of my questions come in.

I have talked to my adviser, and he told me that even though I am getting a BS in MET, after I can get a MS in ME. My first question is, has anyone ever made this transition? What was the experience like? Did you find yourself weaker than other graduates that have a BS in ME?

Even though I plan to pursue schooling and receive a MS and Phd in ME, I would love to get a degree in physics as well. So is it possible to receive a physics degree for say, after you graduate, just by taking courses that you need rather than retaking the one that you already have taken? Reason I ask is because, as previously mentioned, I will be very close to having Degree in physics, only my institute does not provide it.

Also, is it logical to have more than one masters? I have high hopes and want to learn a lot, but I do not know what is "legally" possible.

This may be a silly and very general question to ask, but is there a source that can provide me with information regarding good places to go to grad school that would in some way allow me to entangle most of my interest into one application so to say?

Sorry for the huge post, but I am anxious to know more and will provide more questions as they arise. Also, if there is something that I am to unorganized about, do tell, as I am still in my learning process.

Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It's great to hear that you have a passion for both engineering and physics. I can definitely relate to the feeling of being dazzled by the intricacies of the natural world. To answer your first question, it is definitely possible to transition from a BS in MET to an MS in ME. In fact, many students choose to pursue a graduate degree in a slightly different field than their undergraduate degree. This can actually give you a unique perspective and make you stand out in the job market. As for your concern about being weaker than other graduates with a BS in ME, that will ultimately depend on your individual dedication and hard work. If you are truly passionate about the subject and put in the effort, you can excel in any field.

As for obtaining a degree in physics after graduation, it is possible to take additional courses and earn a second degree. However, it may be more beneficial to focus on a graduate degree in physics if that is your ultimate goal. This will provide you with a more comprehensive education and make you a more competitive candidate for jobs in that field. It is also possible to pursue multiple masters degrees, but it may not be necessary or practical depending on your career goals.

In terms of finding a graduate school that aligns with your interests, it's important to do your research and reach out to professors in your field of interest. They can provide valuable insight and guidance in selecting a program that will allow you to pursue your passions. Also, attending conferences and networking with professionals in your field can also give you a better idea of what programs and opportunities are available.

Overall, my advice would be to continue exploring your interests and taking advantage of the resources available to you. With dedication and hard work, you can achieve your goals and make a valuable contribution to the scientific community. Best of luck to you!

Hello! I can understand your excitement and curiosity about different fields of study. It's great that you have developed a passion for physics and mathematics during your time in college. It's also perfectly normal to have multiple interests and to struggle with choosing just one career path.

In terms of your question about transitioning from an MET to an ME degree, it is definitely possible. Many students choose to pursue a higher degree in a related field to supplement their undergraduate degree. It may require some additional coursework, but it is not uncommon for students to make this transition successfully. As for feeling weaker compared to other graduates with a BS in ME, it ultimately depends on your individual abilities and how well you apply yourself in your coursework and research. With determination and hard work, you can excel in any field.

Regarding getting a degree in physics, it is possible to receive a degree after graduating by taking additional courses, as long as you meet the requirements for the degree. However, it is important to note that most graduate schools have specific prerequisites for their programs, so it's best to research the requirements of the schools you are interested in and plan accordingly.

As for having multiple masters, it is possible but it may be challenging to balance the workload and requirements for multiple programs. It's important to carefully consider your goals and prioritize your academic pursuits to ensure success.

In terms of finding a graduate school that aligns with your interests, I recommend researching different programs and their faculty to see if their research aligns with your interests. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to gain more insight into the program. Additionally, attending conferences and networking with professionals in your field can also provide valuable information about different graduate programs.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in your academic pursuits! Keep exploring your interests and never stop learning.

1. What career options are available for someone with a degree in Physics, Mathematics, and Meteorology after graduating?

There are many career options available for someone with a degree in Physics, Mathematics, and Meteorology. Some popular options include working as a research scientist, data analyst, meteorologist, or in the renewable energy industry. Other options include pursuing graduate studies, teaching, or working in finance or engineering.

2. How can I use my knowledge of Physics, Mathematics, and Meteorology to make informed decisions in my career?

Having a strong background in these areas can help you think critically and analytically, which are important skills for decision making. You can use your knowledge to analyze data, solve complex problems, and make predictions based on scientific principles. These skills can be applied in many industries and can help you make informed decisions in your career.

3. What are some common challenges that arise when making decisions in the fields of Physics, Mathematics, and Meteorology?

Some common challenges in decision making in these fields include dealing with large amounts of data, considering uncertainty and variability in data, and accounting for potential errors or biases. Additionally, making decisions in rapidly changing or unpredictable environments, such as weather forecasting, can present unique challenges.

4. How can I improve my decision making skills in the fields of Physics, Mathematics, and Meteorology?

Practicing critical thinking, staying updated on current research and developments, and seeking guidance from experienced professionals can all help improve decision making skills. Additionally, taking courses or workshops on decision making or data analysis can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any ethical considerations to keep in mind when making decisions in the fields of Physics, Mathematics, and Meteorology?

Yes, there are ethical considerations to keep in mind when making decisions in these fields. For example, using data and calculations to make decisions that have a significant impact on people's lives or the environment should be done with care and consideration for potential consequences. Additionally, ensuring accuracy and transparency in reporting and using data ethically are important factors to consider.