Finding Solutions for Laplace's Equation with Radial Dependence

• Thread starter mcfc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation \nabla ^2 T = 0 with the given boundary conditions when r = a, T = T1 and when r = b, T = T2. The correct form for the polar Laplacian is r(dT/dr) = A, not (1/r)(dT/dr) = A. The two forms of the polar Laplacian mentioned are equivalent and the factor of 1/r comes from the Laplacian with theta dependence. The solution for T is given as T = (1/2)Ar + (B/r), with A and B constants. The application of boundary conditions is also discussed.
mcfc
I need to solve:
[itex]\nabla ^2 T = 0[/itex] with T=T(r) and r=a/T=T1 and r=b/T=T2

Can anyone offer advice as to the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't quite understand what you mean with your boundry conditions, do you mean...

when r=a, T=T1
when r=b, T=T2

Is this what you mean?

flatmaster said:
I don't quite understand what you mean with your boundry conditions, do you mean...

when r=a, T=T1
when r=b, T=T2

Is this what you mean?

Hi,

Yes, sorry for the confusion

Where is your attempt at a solution? You need to crack open a textbook and flip to the section called "Laplace's equation".

Phyisab**** said:
Where is your attempt at a solution? You need to crack open a textbook and flip to the section called "Laplace's equation".
My result is :
[itex]T= \frac{1}{2} Ar + \frac{B}{ r}[/itex]
A, B constants. Also in this example, I'm not sure how to apply the boundary conditions...
But the result I saw(without proof) involved logarithms...?

Well that's not the right solution. It's a pretty simple problem. Either you started with the wrong formula for the Laplacian in polar coordinates, or you integrated it wrong. You apply the boundary conditions the same way you would in any other situation.

[itex]\nabla ^2 T = \frac {\partial}{\partial r}( {1 \over r}\frac{\partial rT}{\partial r})=0[/itex]
is the polar form used,

which implies [itex]{1 \over r}\frac{\partial rT}{\partial r}= A[/itex] and integrate to get my (incorrect) result above...
What am I missing!?

Ah you just wrote the polar Laplacian wrong. It should be r(dT/dr)=A at your last step. :cool:

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial r} = \frac{A}{r}[/tex]

[tex]T(a)= Aln(a) + B = T_{1}[/tex]
[tex]T(b)= Aln(b) + B = T_{2}[/tex]

Last edited:

Thanks.

I've been confused because I've seen two forms of the polar laplacian:
1)[itex]\frac {\partial}{\partial r}( {1 \over r}\frac{\partial T r}{\partial r})[/itex]

and

2)[itex] {1 \over r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r \frac{\partial T}{\partial r})[/itex]

how are these equivalent?

[tex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial r}\left(r\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right)=0[/tex]

the factor of [tex]\frac{1}{r}[/tex] comes from the laplacian with theta dependence. Here you are independent of angle. Just multiply by r and it is gone.

What is nabla^2 T?

Nabla^2 T represents the Laplace operator, which is a mathematical operator that calculates the sum of the second partial derivatives of the function T.

What does it mean when nabla^2 T = 0?

When nabla^2 T = 0, it means that the function T is a harmonic function, which means that it satisfies the Laplace equation. In other words, the function has a constant value on its boundaries and no internal sources or sinks.

What are the applications of solving nabla^2 T = 0?

Solving nabla^2 T = 0 has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some examples include solving for temperature distribution in a steady-state heat conduction problem, solving for potential distribution in electrostatics, and solving for fluid flow in a potential flow problem.

What are the methods for solving nabla^2 T = 0?

There are several methods for solving nabla^2 T = 0, including analytical methods such as separation of variables and numerical methods such as finite difference method and finite element method. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and its boundary conditions.

What are the boundary conditions for solving nabla^2 T = 0?

The boundary conditions for solving nabla^2 T = 0 depend on the specific problem being solved. However, in general, the boundary conditions should be consistent with the physical interpretation of the problem and ensure a unique solution.