Drag calculation based on kinetic theory, flux

Your Name]In summary, the conversation involves a complex problem related to the aerodynamics of a flat plate orbiting at an angle of attack around the Earth. The individual is looking for help with boundary condition equations based on kinetic theory and is not able to use basic CD, CL equations. Further information and context is needed to provide a solution and it is suggested to consult with a colleague or professor for assistance.
orbitsnerd

Homework Statement

A flat plate is orbiting at an altitude of 250 km around the earth, at an angle of attack Β=45 degrees. Assume that the atmosphere is composed of only atomic oxygen which reflect from the surface diffusely. Calculate the lift and drag if it has an area of 10 M2.

Cd~2.2
n=1x1015/m3
T=975 K
Β=45 degrees
A=10 m2
mo=2.67 x 10-26 kg
vo=7.8 x 103 m/s
Θ=Τ=1
Θ upper=135 degrees
Θ lower=45 degrees

Homework Equations

I cannot use the basic CD, CL equations. I need to use a set of boundary condition equations based on kinetic theory.
CL=4Ε/√(Π) *vth[/SUB/vd * sin(Β)*cos(Β) exp (-vd*sin(Β/vth[/SUB)^2)+...etc
and a similar equation for CD

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drifting gas equations, stationary gas equations and a ton more.

Pn/Pinf=((1+Ε)/sqrt(Π))*(vd cos theta/vth)...

Τ/Pinf=(1-Ε)/sqrt(Π)*vd sin(Θ)...

q/mninf(2kTinf/m)^(3/2)=alphac(1-Ε)/(4*sqrtΠ)...

Any help here?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are working on a complex problem involving the aerodynamics of a flat plate orbiting at an angle of attack around the Earth. I understand that you are not able to use the basic CD, CL equations and are looking for help with the boundary condition equations based on kinetic theory.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the specific equations you have mentioned and I do not have enough information about your problem to provide a solution. It would be helpful if you could provide more context and background information about your problem, such as the specific boundary conditions you are working with and any other relevant equations or assumptions.

In any case, I suggest consulting with a colleague or professor who is knowledgeable in this field for assistance. They may be able to provide more specific guidance and help you better understand the equations you are working with.

I wish you the best of luck with your research and calculations. Keep up the good work!

1. How is drag calculated using kinetic theory?

Drag is calculated using the inverse of the kinetic theory, which states that the drag force on an object is equal to the product of the kinetic energy of the fluid particles and the rate of change of the fluid's momentum.

2. What is the significance of flux in drag calculations?

Flux is an important factor in drag calculations because it represents the rate of flow of fluid particles over a given area. In drag calculations, flux is used to determine the number of fluid particles that collide with an object and contribute to the drag force.

3. How does the size and shape of an object affect drag calculations based on kinetic theory?

The size and shape of an object play a significant role in drag calculations as they determine the surface area of the object and the number of fluid particles that interact with it. Larger and more streamlined objects typically experience less drag compared to smaller and less streamlined objects.

4. Can drag be reduced by manipulating flux in drag calculations?

Yes, drag can be reduced by manipulating flux in drag calculations. By increasing the flux, more fluid particles will collide with the object, increasing the drag force. On the other hand, by decreasing the flux, less fluid particles will interact with the object, resulting in a lower drag force.

5. Are there any limitations to using kinetic theory for drag calculations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using kinetic theory for drag calculations. This theory assumes that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is steady, and the fluid particles are in random motion. These assumptions may not hold true in some real-world scenarios, leading to potential inaccuracies in drag calculations.