Limit Problem - Electric field strength of an infinite line of charge

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of the electric field strength of an infinite line of charge. The expression involves a constant, charge, length, and distance, and the goal is to see what happens to the electric field as the length of the wire approaches infinity. The solution involves factoring out L^2 from the expression in the square root and simplifying as L approaches infinity. The conversation also mentions a helpful website for understanding limits in mathematics.
JJBladester
Gold Member
Limit Problem --- Electric field strength of an infinite line of charge

Homework Statement

What is the limit of the following equation?

Homework Equations

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{L\rightarrow\infty} \frac{K|Q|}{r\sqrt{r^{2}+(L/2)^{2}}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The book gives an answer of [tex]\frac{K|Q|}{rL/2}[/tex] but it doesn't explain the intermediate steps.

K is a constant, Q represents charge, L represents length, and r represents distance from a wire to a point in space. The whole exercise is to see what happens to the electric field strength of the wire if its length is allowed to grow infinitely.

Physics news on Phys.org

Factor the L^2 out of the expression in the square root. So sqrt(r^2+(L/2)^2)=sqrt(L^2(r^2/L^2+1/4)=sqrt(L^2)*sqrt((r/L)^2+1/4)=L*sqrt((r/L)^2+1/4). Now as L->infinity, r/L goes to zero.

Dick,

Thanks for your response. The first sentence you made helped me get through it!

Factor the L^2 out of the expression in the square root... I guess the more problems I do, the more my math intuition will increase. On that note, I found a site www.betterexplained.com that has really helped me conceptualize things like "what is a limit" without a cheesy explanation like "the area under the curve". Check it out :)

1. What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value. It is used to analyze the behavior of a function near a particular point.

2. How is electric field strength of an infinite line of charge calculated?

The electric field strength of an infinite line of charge is calculated using the formula E = λ/2πε0r, where λ is the linear charge density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the line of charge.

3. Can an infinite line of charge exist in real life?

No, an infinite line of charge is a theoretical concept used in physics to simplify calculations. In reality, all charged objects have a finite size and shape.

4. How does the electric field strength change as the distance from the line of charge increases?

The electric field strength decreases as the distance from the line of charge increases. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

5. What is the significance of calculating the electric field strength of an infinite line of charge?

Calculating the electric field strength of an infinite line of charge helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with other charged objects. It also allows us to make predictions and solve practical problems in electromagnetism.