Where can I find a circuit diagram for building a 15V power supply?

In summary, the basic components needed to build a power supply are a transformer, rectifier, filter capacitor, voltage regulator, and output capacitor. Each component serves a specific purpose, such as stepping down the voltage, converting AC to DC, and maintaining a constant output voltage. It is highly recommended to have a circuit diagram when building a power supply for correct connections and troubleshooting. There are two types of power supplies, linear and switching, with the latter being more efficient and compact but can introduce more noise. Safety precautions such as using insulated tools, unplugging the power supply before making adjustments, and wearing protective gear should be taken when working with electricity.
Éire
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew where you could find a good circuit diagram for building your own PSU.

I am looking something that would maybe go up to 15 volts or so, just for doing some testing etc at home.

I did a quick search here and didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Seán

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thats fantastic, thank you very much.

Seán

1. What are the basic components needed to build a power supply?

The basic components needed to build a power supply include a transformer, rectifier, filter capacitor, voltage regulator, and output capacitor.

2. What is the purpose of each component in a power supply?

The transformer is used to step down the voltage from the main power source. The rectifier converts the AC voltage to DC. The filter capacitor smooths out the DC voltage. The voltage regulator maintains a constant output voltage. The output capacitor helps to stabilize the output voltage.

3. Is it necessary to have a circuit diagram to build a power supply?

Yes, it is highly recommended to have a circuit diagram when building a power supply. It helps to ensure that the components are connected correctly and can help troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

4. What is the difference between a linear power supply and a switching power supply?

A linear power supply uses a transformer to step down the voltage, while a switching power supply uses high-frequency switching to step down the voltage. Switching power supplies are typically more efficient and compact, but they can introduce more noise into the output voltage.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when building a power supply?

When working with electricity, safety is crucial. Some precautions that should be taken include using insulated tools, ensuring the power supply is unplugged before making any adjustments, and wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles. It is also important to double-check all connections and components before turning on the power supply.