Quantized angular momentum of diatomic gas molecule: Bohr Model

In summary, the problem involves a diatomic gas molecule with two atoms of mass m rotating about an axis with a fixed distance d. The angular momentum is quantized according to the Bohr atom model, and the quantized angular speed and rotational energy are determined using this assumption. The solutions are &omega = nh/(&pi md2) and E = n2h2/(4m&pi2d2). Your solution is correct.
frankR
Here is the problem:

A diatomic gas molecule consists of two atoms of mass m separated by a fixed distance d rotating about an axis as shown. Assuming that its angular momentum is quantized just as in the Bohr atom, determine a) the quantized angular speed, b) the quantized rotational energy.

Note: The diagram consists of two point masses of mass m rotating about an axis with angular speed &omega separated by a distance d.

Here is my solution:

The assumption made by Bohr under his model of the hydrogen atom: angular momentum is quantized according to L = nh/(2&pi)

The following model of quantized &omega and E of the diatomic molecule will use the same assumption.

L = 2mvr = nh/(2&pi)

Substitute: v = r&omega

2m(r&omega)r = nh/(2&pi)

Substituing: r = 1/2d, and solving for &omega we find:

&omega = nh/(&pi md2)

For rotational E:

E =1/2I&omega2

I = 2mr2

Substituting: r = 1/2d into I

I = 1/2md2

Substituting I and &omega2 in E:

We find:

E = n2h2/(4m&pi2d2)

Is my solution correct?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by frankR
Is my solution correct?

Yes.

for sharing your solution. Your solution looks correct. You have correctly applied the Bohr's assumption of quantized angular momentum to the diatomic gas molecule and have derived the quantized angular speed and rotational energy. Your substitution of the moment of inertia and angular speed into the formula for rotational energy is also correct. Great job!

1. What is the Bohr Model and how does it relate to quantized angular momentum?

The Bohr Model is a simplified model of the atom proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913. It describes the structure of atoms as having a nucleus at the center, with electrons orbiting around it in specific energy levels or "shells". This model also introduced the concept of quantized angular momentum, which states that electrons can only exist in certain discrete energy levels and cannot exist in between them.

2. How does the quantized angular momentum of diatomic gas molecules differ from that of single atoms?

The quantized angular momentum of diatomic gas molecules is different from that of single atoms because it takes into account the rotation of the entire molecule, rather than just the individual electrons. This means that the energy levels of diatomic gas molecules are more complex and can have a wider range of values compared to single atoms.

3. Can the quantized angular momentum of diatomic gas molecules change?

Yes, the quantized angular momentum of diatomic gas molecules can change under certain conditions. For example, when a molecule absorbs or emits a photon, its energy level and therefore its quantized angular momentum can change. Additionally, collisions with other molecules can also cause a change in the quantized angular momentum of diatomic gas molecules.

4. How does the quantized angular momentum affect the behavior of diatomic gas molecules?

The quantized angular momentum of diatomic gas molecules plays a crucial role in determining their physical and chemical properties. The specific energy levels that a molecule can occupy affect its reactivity, bonding, and overall behavior. For example, the energy level of a molecule's electrons can determine whether it is stable or reactive, and how it interacts with other molecules.

5. Is the Bohr Model still considered a valid representation of the atom and its quantized angular momentum?

The Bohr Model is no longer considered a completely accurate representation of the atom, as it does not fully account for the complex nature of electron behavior. However, the concept of quantized angular momentum is still a fundamental principle in modern atomic theory and is used in more advanced models and theories to describe the behavior of atoms and molecules.