Maximizing Revenue: Solving for Maximum Profit with the Demand Equation x+9p=450

• Thread starter Everstar
  • Start date
In summary, the homework equation is x+9p=450. Use this to rewrite the revenue equation R=xp as a function of x. Find the number of goods that will maximize profit. Find the maximum profit.
Everstar

Homework Statement

The Demand Equation for a certian product can be modeled by x+9p=450. Use this to rewrite the revenue equation R=xp as a function of x. Find the number of goods that will maximize profit. Find the maximum profit.

Homework Equations

x+9p=450
R=xp

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea =S. My real problem is i don't know how to write r=xp as a function of x i know it will end up being a quadratic equation i just don't know how to do it. Thanks so much for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Like in my math book examples it takes x=21,000-150p and turns it into R=xp=(21,000-150p)p=-150p^2+21,000p. It says that's expressing the revenue r as a function of p. I don't even understand what they did and that's the first example. I miss 2 days and i get so far behind =(

Well, first you need to isolate p in your first equation. By this I mean manipulate the equation until you have p, alone, on one side. Then you should have p as a function of x. After this, you can say that p is equal to this function of x, and replace p in your second equation with the function of x.

so i get p=50-x/9?

Im sorry but i don't understand your second part.

oh wait so r=x(50-x/9) right?

Exactly.

Now factor all of that out, and you get your quadratic.

R=50x-x^2/9 is what i got
well can't i like write it like this R(x)=-1/9x^2+50x

1/9 is the same as dividing by 9?

Sounds good.

alright cool thank you!

Now to find the number of good that will maximize the profit i take h=-b/2a witch is -50/2(-1/9)= 225.

I put the 225 in the equation for x like: R(225)=-1/9(225)^2+50(225)= 5626 and that's my maxium profit correct?

Everstar said:
Now to find the number of good that will maximize the profit i take h=-b/2a witch is -50/2(-1/9)= 225.

I put the 225 in the equation for x like: R(225)=-1/9(225)^2+50(225)= 5626 and that's my maxium profit correct?

I think there's a typo there, since your math and the correct answer both total to 5625. Maybe you intended to hit that instead?

If you did, then yes, that is your maximum profit.

ok haha yeah i did thanks for all the help =)

1. What is "Maximizing Revenue ahh"?

"Maximizing Revenue ahh" is a concept that refers to strategies and techniques used to increase the amount of income or profit generated by a business or organization. It involves finding ways to optimize sales, reduce expenses, and improve overall financial performance.

2. Why is maximizing revenue important?

Maximizing revenue is important because it directly impacts the financial success and sustainability of a business. By increasing revenue, a business can have more resources to invest in growth, pay off debts, and provide better products or services to its customers.

3. How can a business maximize its revenue?

There are several ways a business can maximize its revenue, including implementing effective marketing strategies, optimizing pricing strategies, expanding into new markets, improving customer retention, and reducing operational costs.

4. What are the potential challenges in maximizing revenue?

Some potential challenges in maximizing revenue include competition, market saturation, economic downturns, and changes in consumer behavior. It is also important for businesses to balance revenue maximization with ethical and sustainable practices.

5. Can maximizing revenue also benefit society?

Yes, maximizing revenue can benefit society by creating job opportunities, contributing to economic growth, and providing resources for social and environmental initiatives. However, it is important for businesses to also consider their impact on society and strive for responsible and ethical practices while maximizing revenue.