Issue with the definition of the Hausdorff dimension

In summary, the issue with the definition of the Hausdorff dimension is that it allows for the infimum of the measure to be 0 even though the measure is defined as the infimum of positive numbers. This can occur in cases where the set in question can be covered by a countable family of closed sets with infinitely small diameters, leading to a 0 measure for any given dimension.
mikfig
Issue with the definition of the Hausdorff dimension

Homework Statement

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HausdorffDimension.html" involves a n-dimensional Hausdorff measure of 0. I'm having trouble understanding cases that would give such a value.

Homework Equations

the Hausdorff dimension [tex]\textbf{D}(\textbf{A})[/tex] of A is the infimum of d>=0 such that the d-dimensional Hausdorff measure of A is 0

Let [tex]\textbf{X}[/tex] be a metric space, [tex]\textbf{A}[/tex] be a subset of [tex]\textbf{X}[/tex], and [tex]\textbf{d}[/tex] a number [tex]>=0[/tex].

The [tex]\textbf{d}[/tex]-dimensional Hausdorff measure of [tex]\textbf{A}[/tex], [tex]\textbf{H}^\textbf{d}(\textbf{A})[/tex], is the infimum of positive numbers [tex]\textbf{y}[/tex] such that for every [tex]\textbf{r}>0[/tex], [tex]\textbf{A}[/tex] can be covered by a countable family of closed sets, each of diameter less than [tex]\textbf{r}[/tex], such that the sum of the [tex]\textbf{d}[/tex]th powers of their diameters is less than [tex]\textbf{y}[/tex]. Note that [tex]\textbf{H}^\textbf{d}(\textbf{A})[/tex] may be infinite, and [tex]\textbf{d}[/tex] need not be an integer.

The Attempt at a Solution

I read in some wikipedia article that a 2-dimensional Hausdorff measure of planar Brownian motion would be 0. So, I'm thinking that it may be that if one forms subsets out of said set A in which each subset contains only one isolated point, then the diameter of each of those subsets would be 0 and thus the Hausdorff measure would be 0. However, I don't think this is the explanation I'm looking for because then that set A would have a Hausdorff measure of 0 for any given dimension d.

Another issue I have is related to the definition of the Hausdorff measure.
It is the "infimum of positive numbers y such that..." How can the measure be 0 if it has to be a member of a set of positive numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mikfig said:
Another issue I have is related to the definition of the Hausdorff measure.
It is the "infimum of positive numbers y such that..." How can the measure be 0 if it has to be a member of a set of positive numbers?

The infimum of a set of positive numbers can be 0, e.g. the infimum of the open interval (0,1) is 0 even though every number in (0,1) is positive.

For example, look at the d = 1 Hausdorff measure of the natural numbers (so this is just the Lebesgue measure). For any y>0 we can cover 0 by the closed interval [-y/4, y/4], 1 by the closed interval [1-y/8,1+y/8], 2 by [2-y/16, 2+y/16] and so forth. The total length of these intervals is y/2 + y/4 + y/8 + y/16 + ... = y. Since this worked for all positive y, the inf over all these y is 0 so that the d = 1 Hausdorff measure of the natural numbers is 0.

What is the Hausdorff dimension?

The Hausdorff dimension is a mathematical concept that measures the complexity or "fractal dimension" of a geometric object or set. It was developed by mathematician Felix Hausdorff in the early 20th century.

What is the issue with the definition of the Hausdorff dimension?

The issue with the definition of the Hausdorff dimension lies in its applicability to certain geometric sets or objects. Some sets, such as the Koch curve, have a non-integer Hausdorff dimension, which challenges traditional notions of dimension in Euclidean geometry.

How is the Hausdorff dimension calculated?

The Hausdorff dimension is calculated by defining a measure of "size" for a given set, and then taking the limit as this measure approaches zero. This process is known as the Hausdorff measure, and the resulting limit is the Hausdorff dimension.

What is the significance of the Hausdorff dimension in mathematics?

The Hausdorff dimension has important applications in fields such as fractal geometry, dynamical systems, and complex analysis. It provides a way to measure the complexity of geometric objects that do not fit into traditional notions of dimension.

Are there any limitations to the Hausdorff dimension?

Yes, there are limitations to the Hausdorff dimension, as it is not suitable for measuring the dimension of all geometric sets or objects. It may also produce different values depending on the choice of Hausdorff measure, and is not defined for sets that are not completely bounded.