How to study Physics and Calculus (looking for exercises)

In summary, to effectively study Physics and Calculus and improve problem-solving skills, it is important to focus on understanding key concepts and practicing with a variety of exercises. This can be achieved by actively engaging in class, taking notes, and reviewing material regularly. Additionally, utilizing online resources and seeking help from teachers or peers can also aid in understanding and mastering these subjects. Consistent practice and determination are key to success in Physics and Calculus.
AronH
Hi!

I am a high school student, and I am planning to go to IPhO next year, so I am trying to study a little hard and deep Physics and Maths (Calculus, also some other parts that are necessary). However, I am reading a Feynman textbook, so I haven't exercises to do. And the other books that I found exercises or problems they are too elementary and didn't use great concepts or mathmatics.
So I want a litle help with these. With anuone can sugest some things to do I will be very grateful.
Thank you.

Aron

Physics news on Phys.org
I think all the old IPho problems are online. Go through them. Also check out the BAUPC problems:

http://liquids.deas.harvard.edu/oleg/competition/

This is sort of an equivalent for undergrad (not nearly so large or well-organized though). Good luck.

Not living in the U.S., I don't know how much you learn in high school and I don't know what IPhO is either but my advice is that you find out what books you'll be using next year at IPhO and study from those! That's what I do.

quasar987 said:
Not living in the U.S., I don't know how much you learn in high school and I don't know what IPhO is either but my advice is that you find out what books you'll be using next year at IPhO and study from those! That's what I do.

Oh thank you both guys.

About my High School, I learn a few Physics concepts, but with a useless maths so the use of those concepts are very limited by these, so I am studying Calculus by myself too expand those parts. And I am just getting some difficult to find exercise for these. Either in university books where they use calculus to teach physics there are a few exercise with actualy use a more complicated maths. So the point for me is more to put those two things together.
And about that link from Boston, it´s very good.
Thank you again.

well first of all.. you need to familiarize yourself with some basic math:

Real Analysis by Stoll:

Partial Diff Eq of Math. Physics and Int Eqs:

Linear Algebra and its Applications:

Just some basic mathematics.

Now as far as Physics goes:

Those are must have Physics books.

1. How do I improve my understanding of physics and calculus?

To improve your understanding of physics and calculus, it is important to practice regularly. Start by reviewing your notes and textbook materials, and then try solving practice problems. You can also find additional exercises online or in study guides. It may also be helpful to form study groups to discuss difficult concepts and work through problems together.

2. How can I manage my time effectively when studying physics and calculus?

To effectively manage your time when studying physics and calculus, create a study schedule that allows for regular practice. Break down your study sessions into smaller chunks and take breaks in between to avoid burnout. Prioritize difficult topics and spend more time on them, while also reviewing easier concepts to maintain a well-rounded understanding.

3. What are some helpful resources for practicing physics and calculus?

There are many helpful resources available for practicing physics and calculus. Your textbook likely has practice problems at the end of each chapter. You can also find online resources such as Khan Academy, which offers video tutorials and practice problems. Additionally, many universities have online resources or tutoring services for students enrolled in physics and calculus courses.

4. How can I approach problem-solving in physics and calculus?

When approaching problem-solving in physics and calculus, it is important to first understand the concepts and equations involved. Then, carefully read and analyze the problem to determine what information is given and what information is needed. Draw diagrams or sketches if necessary. From there, use the appropriate equations and plug in the given information to solve for the unknown variable.

5. How do I stay motivated while studying physics and calculus?

Staying motivated while studying physics and calculus can be challenging, but it is important to remember why you are studying these subjects in the first place. Set realistic goals for yourself and reward yourself for meeting them. Find study buddies or join study groups to keep yourself accountable and motivated. It may also be helpful to remind yourself of the real-world applications of physics and calculus, and how mastering these subjects can benefit your future career or academic goals.