What Causes Red Bug Chigger Bites to Itch?

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
In summary, the student's class went into the forest to do vegetative analysis for ecology and got bit by red bugs. The bug's feeding tube got stuck in the student's body and the student's body had an allergic response, making the student itch.
aychamo
Hey guys

My class went into the forest to do vegetative analysis for ecology on Monday and I got my butt kicked by red bugs.

I'm itching like crazy, I could barely sleep last night.

But I'm wondering what causes the itch to be so bad? From what I've read, they inject a saliva that has enzymes that disolve skin cells. The body has an allergic reaction to the stylosome the bite forms. The chigger's feeding tube is stuck in the body and the body has to break down the tube?

So why does it itch, though? I'm assuming that the bite, or the feeding tube that the chigger leaves is what causes the body to mount an immune response. What is it about the immune response that makes things itch? What type of immune response is being mounted? Is it humoral? Would this be a type of contact dermititis? So weird...

--

A fascinating thing I read about them is that we itch when the chiggers bite us because of the reaction we have to theri bite, but the thing is we aren't their correct host! That's why we have the reaction. There is a species of chiggers in Asia and the Pacific whose host is humans and they don't cause an itching reaction on them There is one hell of an evolutionary adaptation!

Biology news on Phys.org
aychamo said:
Hey guys

My class went into the forest to do vegetative analysis for ecology on Monday and ......

So why does it itch, though? I'm assuming that the bite, or the feeding tube that the chigger leaves is what causes the body to mount an immune response. What is it about the immune response that makes things itch? What type of immune response is being mounted? Is it humoral? Would this be a type of contact dermititis? So weird...

...... but the thing is we aren't their correct host! That's why we have the reaction. There is a species of chiggers in Asia and the Pacific whose host is humans and they don't cause an itching reaction on them There is one hell of an evolutionary adaptation!
So, why didn't you ask your biology teacher yesterday ?
But I guess you still have time for it today or tomorrow though,
I don't know about immunology and I actually have never heard of any chiggers in Asia, and the Pacific whose host is humans like what you have said..But I know there are lots of BUGs in Microsoft software. I was told so when I took a class in Computer Science and Human Beings by an retired instructor from Sheetle (spell?) a couple of years ago...True --sal--

Last edited:
So... Anyone who isn't on crack care to respond? :)

What are red bug chiggers?

Red bug chiggers, also known as harvest mites or scrub-itch mites, are tiny arachnids that are typically found in outdoor areas with tall grass or shrubs. They are not visible to the naked eye and can only be seen under a microscope.

What causes red bug chigger bites to itch?

Red bug chiggers do not actually bite, but instead attach themselves to the skin and inject digestive enzymes that break down skin cells. The itching sensation is a result of an allergic reaction to these enzymes.

How long do red bug chigger bites last?

The itching from red bug chigger bites can last for several days to a week. The actual bite marks may take longer to heal, usually within 1-2 weeks.

Can red bug chigger bites be prevented?

To prevent red bug chigger bites, it is important to avoid areas with tall grass or shrubs, wear long sleeves and pants when outdoors, and use insect repellent. After being in a potentially infested area, it is also recommended to take a shower and change into clean clothes.

How can red bug chigger bites be treated?

To relieve the itching from red bug chigger bites, over-the-counter antihistamines or anti-itch creams can be used. In more severe cases, a doctor may prescribe a steroid cream or oral medication. It is important to avoid scratching the bites, as this can lead to infection.