The Thrill & Fear of Riding in a Roller Coaster's Front Car

In summary, people in the first car of a roller coaster feel the greatest acceleration and this makes it more scary.
Alche
Why do we feel terrified in roller coasters, especially when we sit in the first car in the edge?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really think this is the place to put this question, but i might as well answer anyway.

There are multiple reasons why we find roller coasters scary. Along with the fact they go really fast and can be quite high up (which scares people in itself) adding onto this roller coasters scare us due to a lack of control over the situation, the knowledge that you can't stop the roller coaster from rapidly throwing you about has quite a powerful effect on the mind of an individual.

I want some reason related to physics in this.

Sorry I am a new user. I'll take care from next time

Thanks for replying

There is no direct relation to physics. It's a purely psychological effect.

Personally, I feel rather relaxed in a roller coaster. Except the wooden ones. They hurt my back. Hard to relax because of that.

What you are feeling in a roller coaster and provoke an effect on you is the acceleration. The acceleration when going downhill, but even more the lateral acceleration when you are entering a curve or going upside down.

Acceleration means that your body is changing its speed and/or its direction. Normally your brain is supposed to control that and the fact that something else is controlling your body's position (especially so violently) can be interpreted as a sign of danger by your brain, thus creating fear.

If it is scarier in the first car, it is mostly because in the other cars, your brain can expect what will happen by seeing what happened to the cars in front of you. In the first car, your brain have more difficulties determining the acceleration you will be subjected to, making the experience more frightening.

Thanks everyone for replying. I agree it depends on an individual, but I was searching why the roller coaters accelerate the manner that causes the ride in the roller coaster frightening or thrilling. Finally I have got it,
As the cars move over the edge.. The first car is pulled down with 'mg' where m is the mass of the front car+people in it. However, the remaining cars are still attached to the first car and they exert a tension 'T' on the first car which will in the opposite direction to that of its velocity. But, when the last car crosses over the edge, the people in it experience the greatest acceleration as there is no force trying to pull it backwards. Hence, the answer.

Some one please tell where to post this kinds of questions?

1. What makes the front car of a roller coaster so thrilling?

The front car of a roller coaster offers the most intense experience because it is the closest to the track and allows riders to see and feel every twist, turn, and drop. This creates a sense of anticipation and excitement that cannot be replicated in any other seat.

2. Is riding in the front car of a roller coaster dangerous?

No, riding in the front car of a roller coaster is not inherently dangerous. Roller coasters are designed and inspected to ensure the safety of all riders, regardless of where they are seated. However, riders should always follow safety guidelines and listen to the instructions of ride operators.

3. Can riding in the front car of a roller coaster cause motion sickness?

Yes, riding in the front car of a roller coaster can cause motion sickness for some people. This is because the front car provides a more intense and immersive experience, which can be disorienting and lead to feelings of nausea. If you are prone to motion sickness, it may be best to avoid the front car.

4. Are there any physical requirements for riding in the front car of a roller coaster?

Yes, there may be some physical requirements for riding in the front car of a roller coaster. These can vary depending on the specific ride and theme park, but typically include a minimum height and weight limit. Make sure to check the ride's guidelines before getting in line.

5. How can I overcome my fear of riding in the front car of a roller coaster?

Overcoming the fear of riding in the front car of a roller coaster can be a gradual process. Some tips to help include taking deep breaths, focusing on the excitement rather than the fear, and starting with smaller roller coasters before working your way up to more intense rides. You can also try riding with a friend or family member for support.