Calculating Induced e.m.f and Power in a Perpendicular Coil

In summary, Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction states that the generated voltage (also known as electro-motive force or emf) is equal to the negative of the change in magnetic flux over time. In the given scenario, a coil with 1000 turns, resistance of 23.0 ohms, and cross-sectional area of 4.0 cm squared is placed perpendicular to a magnetic field that is switched off in 0.005 seconds. The average induced emf can be calculated using the magnetic flux density of the field, which is 5.3 x 10^5 T. Additionally, the average electrical power generated in the coil can be determined if its ends are short-circuited. The formula for em
islandguy
a) State Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction.
[ mark
b) A coil of 1000 turns, resistance 23.0 ohms and cross-sectional area of 4.0 cm squared is positioned perpendicular to a magnetic field which is switched off in 0.005 s.
I) What is the average induced e.m.f. if the magnetic flux density of the magnetic field is 5.3 x 10^5 T?

ii) What is the average electrical power generated in the coil if its ends are short circuited?

If its not asking to much, give me answer i need to compare to mine

Thank you for ur kindness

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tell us what you got and how you got it! :-)

sounds like homework, is it not ?

a) the formula gives the emf (generated voltage = "electro motrice force" is it not ?) [tex]\epsilon[/tex] (the minus sign is Lenz's law)
[tex]\epsilon = - \frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]

You can find this anywhere, this is no big deal just giving it to you. Typing "Faraday induction" in google is enough.

EDIT I first gave the answers to the other questions, then deleted them because of the previous post. Yet, I would also doubt about the huge numbers obtained. This is because of the enormous magnetic field.

Last edited:
shouldnt be the formula: E = -N *(dф)/(dt) ?

ur right about the magnetic fiels it should be to the power of -5, sorry for that mistake

Last edited:
Either you define the flux through one coil, and then you get an extra N factor, or you define the flux through the N turns from the begining. But yes, don't forget the N in the formula. Since your coils are perpendicular to the magnetic field, the equation is quite simple. :smile:

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

When a conductor, such as a wire, is placed in a changing magnetic field, the electrons in the conductor experience a force, causing them to move and create an electric current.

3. What is the importance of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is crucial for the functioning of many devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It also plays a significant role in the transmission of electricity.

4. What factors affect electromagnetic induction?

The strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the magnetic field, and the properties of the conductor, such as its length, thickness, and material, all affect electromagnetic induction.

5. How is electromagnetic induction used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic induction is used in a variety of everyday items, including electric toothbrushes, wireless phone chargers, power tools, and even the magnet on your refrigerator. It also allows for the generation of electricity from sources such as hydroelectric and wind power.