Pursuing a PhD in Physics: Should I Perservere or Give Up?

• Thread starter Proteoglycan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Physics
In summary, the individual is in their final year of a physics degree and is considering pursuing a PhD in biophysics. However, they are concerned about their lack of passion for physics and wonder if it is worth persevering through the challenging process of obtaining a PhD. They also mention their mood disorder possibly affecting their motivation. The conversation also touches on the importance of being able to handle both good and bad days during graduate school and the type of research they may excel in.
Proteoglycan
Hello,

For a long time my ambition has been to do research in biophysics, and since I am entering the final year of my physics degree I need to start thinking about doing a PhD. The problem though, is that I'm worried I don't enjoy physics enough to spend the rest of my life doing research.

From reading other posts on doing a PhD, it seems that being passionate about doing physics is essential. I consider doing research in physics to be very important and meaningful but I just can't get passionate about doing it, no matter how hard I try. There are very few other things in life I find interesting and I would describe myself as being most talented at doing physics, despite my apparent lack of motivation. To complicate things further still I suffer from chronic mild depression and OCD, which may be killing my motivation and making me doubt myself so much.

Other than that I've been achieving top marks in my modules so far and set to get a first when I graduate with an undergraduate masters in physics. My supervisor has also been impressed with the research I've been doing for my masters project. There are also times when I genuinely love what I'm doing to the extent that I spend most of my free time doing research.

Should I perservere and hope that I become interested in physics again, or just give up?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Proteoglycan said:
The problem though, is that I'm worried I don't enjoy physics enough to spend the rest of my life doing research.

I think the question is are you an intellectual masochist.

Something that you should know going in is that getting a Ph.D. is hard, and you'll have bad days, and sometimes really bad days in which you hate your dissertation, your advisor, and your life. It helps going into know that you will have bad days, that way you aren't surprised when they happen. However, you'll also have good days, when things just magically work and you've figured out something that you didn't know before.

From reading other posts on doing a PhD, it seems that being passionate about doing physics is essential.

Passion is different from enjoyment. One thing to remember is that the term passion originally referred to the suffering Christ went through when he got nailed to the cross.

There are also times when I genuinely love what I'm doing to the extent that I spend most of my free time doing research.

Should I perservere and hope that I become interested in physics again, or just give up?

The question that you need to ask yourself is can you get through five to seven years of graduate school to get to the Ph.D. If you can get yourself into the lab, and you can imagine doing this for a largish number of years, then it's an option.

twofish-quant said:
I think the question is are you an intellectual masochist.

Something that you should know going in is that getting a Ph.D. is hard, and you'll have bad days, and sometimes really bad days in which you hate your dissertation, your advisor, and your life. It helps going into know that you will have bad days, that way you aren't surprised when they happen. However, you'll also have good days, when things just magically work and you've figured out something that you didn't know before.

I don't think it is a necessary condition that you be a masochist (to derive pleasure from your own suffering). But if you are not, you will need to be able to shrug the bad days off. You will need to be able to find balance outside of grad school. Because the bad days can be REALLY bad in grad school. The good days can be great, however.

The question that you need to ask yourself is can you get through five to seven years of graduate school to get to the Ph.D. If you can get yourself into the lab, and you can imagine doing this for a largish number of years, then it's an option.

This is spot on, imo. You have tasted what research is about. Can you imagine doing something similar for the next 6 years?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies, I think my lack of motivation at the moment may be down to my mood disorder so hopefully it might improve in time. At the moment I'm making an extra effort to do more research for my masters project to try and get some of my enthusiasm back.

Also, is the type of research for a PhD an important thing to consider? I'm thinking that I might do better in more theoretical / computational than experimental work.

Are you seeing a councillor about that mood disorder? Sounds like a course of CBT might be in order. Try reading "CBT for Dummies", or (better) have a chat with your GP.

1. Should I pursue a PhD in Physics?

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a PhD in Physics is a personal one that depends on your interests, goals, and career aspirations. It is important to carefully consider the time, effort, and financial commitment involved in pursuing a PhD, as well as the potential career opportunities that a PhD in Physics can provide.

2. What skills do I need to pursue a PhD in Physics?

To pursue a PhD in Physics, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics and a passion for scientific research. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are essential for success in a PhD program.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Physics?

The length of a PhD program in Physics varies depending on the university and the individual's progress. On average, it takes 5-6 years to complete a PhD in Physics. However, this can vary depending on the research project, publication requirements, and other factors.

4. What are the career prospects for those with a PhD in Physics?

A PhD in Physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in academia, industry, and government. Graduates with a PhD in Physics can work as research scientists, professors, data analysts, consultants, and more.

5. How do I know if I should persevere or give up on my PhD in Physics?

This is a difficult question to answer as it ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and reasons for pursuing a PhD. If you are struggling with your research, it may be helpful to seek guidance from your advisor or peers. It is also important to regularly reassess your goals and motivations for pursuing a PhD to determine if it is the right path for you.