Chemical or Mechanical Engineering?

In summary: Is it the subject matter, the classes, the workload, or something else entirely?Between Physics and ChemistryIf i choose Physics i will go for Electrical Engineering or PhysicsIf i choose Chemistry ill go for Chemistry and specially Physical ChemistryI would try to pick a college where you can put off declaring a major (or at least an engineering specialty) until the end of your freshman/beginning of sophomore year. That way you will have a chance to actually interact with people (students, professors, professionals) in ChemE and MechE and form a better opinion on which one you like more. This is a great advice. I would also suggest looking into other areas of study to see if
zorro
I had interest in Chemical Engineering since 9th grade. But now when I'm in 12th, Mechanical engineering gained my interest. When I looked at the subjects taught in these branches, some were out of my interest. Now every other branch (aerospace, material science etc) I see, I don't like all subjects in it. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul Quadeer said:
I had interest in Chemical Engineering since 9th grade. But now when I'm in 12th, Mechanical engineering gained my interest. When I looked at the subjects taught in these branches, some were out of my interest. Now every other branch (aerospace, material science etc) I see, I don't like all subjects in it. What do I do?

I am in a dilema like that.

Between Physics and Chemistry

If i choose Physics i will go for Electrical Engineering or Physics

If i choose Chemistry ill go for Chemistry and specially Physical Chemistry

I would try to pick a college where you can put off declaring a major (or at least an engineering specialty) until the end of your freshman/beginning of sophomore year. That way you will have a chance to actually interact with people (students, professors, professionals) in ChemE and MechE and form a better opinion on which one you like more.

part of the problem is you really can't say what you like/don't (or even what's useful...) until you actually go through it.

I was in a similar position when i was picking my major. I don't know how useful this will be for you, but here's what went through my mind:

major in a science, physics or chemistry most likely. the problem with majoring in engineering is the high number of courses. at my school, a mechanical engr major requires about 37 classes. the physics major requires about 25. (and that's counting the electives you take for the physics major)

by majoring in a science, you get a very foundational education. if you really want to learn something, spend your electives on whatever engr classes you're interested in (so you could take classes on fluid mech or whatever...).

you can spend those electives specializing. or simply go to graduate school in whatever graduate school that you end up being interested in.

hope this helps.

flemmyd said:
the problem with majoring in engineering is the high number of courses. at my school, a mechanical engr major requires about 37 classes. the physics major requires about 25. (and that's counting the electives you take for the physics major)
Why does that matter? Back home medicine (it's an undergrad program) students had only a couple of exams their first year, whereas some random social science students had 10 - 15. Does that make the latter studies harder? No, they had a couple of weeks' worth, if that, of studying to pass them all with the highest marks, and for med students that was barely enough time to cover one exam.

Ryker said:
Why does that matter? Back home medicine (it's an undergrad program) students had only a couple of exams their first year, whereas some random social science students had 10 - 15. Does that make the latter studies harder? No, they had a couple of weeks' worth, if that, of studying to pass them all with the highest marks, and for med students that was barely enough time to cover one exam.

I wasn't making a point about what was harder.

Let me elaborate. Engineering (again at my school) has 37 classes. about 33ish of them are required classes. 3 of them are electives (within the major). Physics only required 25ish classes, 6 of which are electives within the major. so if you major in physics and took the same number of classes, you could spend those 10 (maybe 15 if you count the physics electives) taking whatever topics ended up catching your interest.

So major in physics and if fluid mechanics (in the ME depart) caught your interest, take that class. if semiconductor physics (in the EE) was really interesting, take that as your electives. or maybe you want to work in business/finance. spend those electives in econ/management classes or something.

On the other hand, if you major in engr you will have to take all the required classes. which may or may not be interesting to you.

And I'm talking about a US school. I'm not familiar with foreign schools.

At the OP: what exactly do you find interesting/not interesting in the various engr fields?

1. What is the difference between chemical and mechanical engineering?

Chemical engineering involves the design and production of chemical processes and products, while mechanical engineering focuses on the design and production of mechanical systems and devices. Chemical engineers primarily deal with reactions and transformations of materials, while mechanical engineers deal with the movement and transfer of energy.

2. What are the career opportunities for chemical and mechanical engineers?

Both chemical and mechanical engineering offer a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including manufacturing, energy, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology. Chemical engineers often work in roles such as process engineer, quality control analyst, or research scientist, while mechanical engineers can work as design engineers, project managers, or maintenance engineers.

3. Do chemical and mechanical engineers work together?

Yes, chemical and mechanical engineers often collaborate on projects that involve both chemical and mechanical processes. For example, in the design of a chemical plant, chemical engineers would design the chemical reactions while mechanical engineers would design the equipment and systems needed to carry out those reactions. This collaboration is essential for the success of many industrial projects.

4. What skills are necessary for a career in chemical or mechanical engineering?

Both chemical and mechanical engineers need strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as a solid understanding of chemistry and physics. They also need to be proficient in computer-aided design (CAD) software and have good problem-solving and communication skills. Additionally, attention to detail and the ability to work in a team are important qualities for success in these fields.

5. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree in chemical or mechanical engineering?

While many entry-level positions in chemical and mechanical engineering require a bachelor's degree, having a graduate degree can open up more advanced job opportunities and higher salaries. Some employers may also prefer candidates with a graduate degree for certain positions, such as research or management roles. However, gaining experience through internships and co-op programs can also be valuable for career advancement in these fields.