Displacement of Water Leaking in a Boxcar

In summary, a boxcar with dimensions 7.8 m x 2.3 m and empty mass of 2900 kg contains a 1 m x 2.3 m tank filled with 1400 kg of water. The walls of the tank start to leak, causing the water to uniformly fill the floor of the boxcar. Assuming all the water stays in the boxcar, the displacement of the boxcar after 9 seconds is being asked. With zero friction, the water moves to the right, causing the boxcar to move to the left as a conservation of momentum problem. However, since there is no external force, the center of mass remains the same.
SilentBlade91

Homework Statement

A boxcar of length 7.8 m and height 2.3 m is at rest on
frictionless rails. Inside the boxcar (whose mass when empty is
2900 kg) a tank containing 1400 kg of water is located at the
left end. The tank is 1 m long and 2.3 m tall. At some point
the walls of the tank start to leak, and the water fills the floor
of the boxcar uniformly. Assume that all the water stays in
the boxcar. What is the displacement of the boxcar 9 s after
the water has settled in the bottom of the car (take positive
displacement as being to the right)?

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I don't have an attempt I am sorry, I really don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was dumbstruck, too. In reality it wouldn't move, but with zero friction I suppose it would. The water moves to the right, so I suppose the car would move to the left. As a conservation of momentum problem, the car would gain some velocity while the water is moving, then lose it as the water stops. Very difficult to sort that out, though. My instinct is telling me that probably the center of mass doesn't change (no external force so it can't move). So your big picture is
center of mass before = center of mass after

1. What is the relationship between displacement and water leaking?

Displacement is the amount of water that has been moved or replaced by an object. Water leaking occurs when there is an opening or hole in a container, causing water to escape and be replaced by air.

2. How does the displacement of water leaking affect the buoyancy of an object?

The displacement of water leaking can decrease the buoyancy of an object, as the water that is being displaced by the object is being replaced by air. This results in less upward force on the object, making it less buoyant.

3. Can displacement of water leaking be used to measure the volume of an object?

Yes, the displacement of water leaking can be used to measure the volume of an object. By measuring the amount of water that is displaced by the object, you can determine its volume.

4. How can the displacement of water leaking be prevented?

To prevent displacement of water leaking, it is important to ensure that containers or objects are properly sealed and do not have any holes or openings. Regular maintenance and repairs can also help prevent water leaking.

5. Is the displacement of water leaking always a bad thing?

Not necessarily. In some cases, the displacement of water leaking can be beneficial. For example, in a hydroelectric power plant, water leaking from a reservoir can be used to generate electricity. However, in most cases, displacement of water leaking can cause damage or loss of water, making it a negative occurrence.