Session loss when clicking top header link

• Thread starter hadsed
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with session loss in vBulletin when links are not created correctly. The person speaking is not familiar with the specifics of how to fix it, but believes it is a simple issue and can be easily identified by looking at other links. They mention that there are built-in functions for creating links that prevent session loss. Another person asks for more specifics and suggests it may be related to addresses with or without "www." The original speaker confirms this and explains that if a link is clicked from an external source, they may be signed out. They also mention that cookies are assigned to the domain and that both sets get stored under the same heading.
hadsed
Well, the topic really says the problem. In vBulletin I know if you don't create your links a certain way, the session will be lost. It's been a really long time since I've worked with it so sorry I can't give any specifics on how to fix. It's very simple though, as far as I can remember, so probably looking at any other link would instantly show. I believe there's built-in functions for creating links so that sessions don't get lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be a little bit more specific? I guess you may be referring to the difference between addresses given as www.physicsforums.com and physicsforums.com, but I am not sure.

I think you have it borek. If you sign in under one of them then use a link to the other you won't be signed in any more. Its always best practice to include the www.

It is because of the way cookies are handled, they are assigned to the domain.

I opened this page both ways to check how firefox handles the cookies. Looks like both sets get stored under the same physicsforums.com heading.

Well it happens whenever I, say, click a link from google or somebody else links to another page from either this forum or somewhere else on the internet. I'm not sure why, and I suppose that outside links can't be helped, but it does happen with links on these forums as well.

What causes session loss when clicking a top header link?

Session loss can be caused by a variety of factors, including server overload, expired sessions, or browser issues. It can also occur if the user clicks on a link that takes them away from the current website, causing the session to end.

How can session loss be prevented when clicking a top header link?

To prevent session loss, website developers can implement techniques such as using AJAX to load content without refreshing the page, setting longer session timeouts, or using cookies to store session data. Users can also try clearing their cache and cookies, or using a different browser.

Why is session loss a problem for users?

Session loss can be frustrating for users as it disrupts their browsing experience and may cause them to lose any unsaved work or progress on a website. It can also lead to multiple login attempts and a poor user experience.

How can website owners detect and handle session loss?

Website owners can track session loss by monitoring server logs or using tools such as Google Analytics. When a session loss is detected, they can redirect the user to a login page or provide a message explaining the issue and how to resolve it.

Is there a way to recover a lost session?

In some cases, users may be able to recover a lost session by refreshing the page or clicking the back button on their browser. However, if the session has expired or the server is overloaded, the user will likely need to log in again to continue their session.