Using a recursion relation to find the number of elements in a partition

In summary: The diagram should have just two levels, the bottom one containing your one-element sets, and the top one containing your three-element set.In summary, the number of elements of A_n of rank r, denoted by S(n,r), follows the recursion formula S(n,r)=(n-r)S(n-1,r-1) + S(n-1,r). This formula can be verified for n=4 and r=0,1,2,3,4 using the given values of S(3,0) = 1, S(3,1) = 3, and S(3,2) = 1. However, there may be discrepancies when calculating S(4,2) by hand,
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

Let S(n,r) denote the number of elements of [tex]A_n[/tex] of rank r. Then S(n,r) satisfies the recursion [tex]S(n,r)=(n-r)S(n-1,r-1) + S(n-1,r)[/tex] Verify this formula for n=4 and r=0,1,2,3,4, using the values
S(3,0) = 1
S(3,1)=3
S(3,2)=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I had already done by hand what the different partitions of A_n are. The set I'm taking the partitions from is {1,2,3,4}. Now for all of the calculations using the formula I get the right number of elements, but for S(4,2) I get 7 according to the formula, when I get 3 when I calculate this by hand.

So let me show you:
The partitions of the set {1,2,3,4} of rank 2 are:

{{1,2},{3,4}}, {{1,3},{2,4}}, {{1,4},{2,3}} Correct? So am I doing something wrong? There are three elements of A_n of rank 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Raziel2701! :wink:
Raziel2701 said:
The partitions of the set {1,2,3,4} of rank 2 are:

{{1,2},{3,4}}, {{1,3},{2,4}}, {{1,4},{2,3}} Correct? So am I doing something wrong? There are three elements of A_n of rank 2.

Don't you have to include 4 more, of the type {{1},{2,3,4}} ? :smile:

I have another question, and thanks for pointing out my error :). I have to draw the Hasse diagram for these partitions. Is it going to look like this? http://imgur.com/z4mjt.png

I think it's messy, which is why I think it's wrong, so if someone could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Thanks.

Raziel2701 said:
I have to draw the Hasse diagram for these partitions. Is it going to look like this? http://imgur.com/z4mjt.png

No, you've drawn each two-element set as containing every one-element set!

What is a recursion relation?

A recursion relation is a mathematical expression that defines a sequence or function in terms of previous terms. It allows us to break down a complex problem into smaller and simpler subproblems.

How can a recursion relation be used to find the number of elements in a partition?

A recursion relation can be used to find the number of elements in a partition by breaking down the partition into smaller and simpler subpartitions. The number of elements in each subpartition can then be calculated using the recursion relation, and the results can be combined to find the total number of elements in the original partition.

What is the base case in a recursion relation for finding the number of elements in a partition?

The base case in a recursion relation for finding the number of elements in a partition is the simplest case that can be directly calculated. In this case, it would be a partition with only one element, which has a known number of elements (usually 1).

Why is using a recursion relation useful for finding the number of elements in a partition?

Using a recursion relation allows us to break down a complex problem into smaller and simpler subproblems, making it easier to solve. It also allows us to avoid repetitive calculations and can be more efficient than using a brute force approach.

Are there any limitations to using a recursion relation to find the number of elements in a partition?

Yes, there can be limitations to using a recursion relation. If the problem is not well-defined or if the recursion relation is not properly defined, it can lead to incorrect results or an infinite loop. Additionally, using a recursion relation may not always be the most efficient solution, especially for very large partitions.