Basic EE question for you guys.

• Thread starter BigSteve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary, the circuit will take an analog input of 5V to 0V and will output a 0V to 12V voltage. The voltage will change depending on the distance of the object being measured. A dual op-amp can be used to achieve this, however the resistor divider is only necessary if 5V is not available as the reference.
BigSteve
Hi folks.
I am ME/AE by profession but I love robotics and I tinker. I have pretty much zero EE experience so this question probably has a simple answer, I just don't know where to look.
Basically i will have a rangefinder with an analog output. I want to invert and multiply that output. So that farther readings will result in higher voltage to a motor. Also, the multiplication will be very small, like 5V to 12V.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
BigSteve said:
Hi folks.
I am ME/AE by profession but I love robotics and I tinker. I have pretty much zero EE experience so this question probably has a simple answer, I just don't know where to look.
Basically i will have a rangefinder with an analog output. I want to invert and multiply that output. So that farther readings will result in higher voltage to a motor. Also, the multiplication will be very small, like 5V to 12V.
Thanks.

Is multiply mean gain to you? Is the input 0 to +5V and you want the output 0 to -12V?

What speed is the voltage change? What is the driving requirement of the motor that the circuit has to drive? What I mean is how much current you need to drive the motor.

Usually all you need is a simple op-amp inverting configuration with a gain of -12/5 = -2.4 if that is what you meant but multiply.

Yeah, I probably didn't explain that quite right.
My sensor will output a voltage based on distance. For farther distances it will output a lower positive voltage, but I need a high (still positive) voltage to the motor. Close objects will out put a higher voltage, but I will want a lower(still positive) voltage to the motor. So a close object will approach 5v and the motor voltage should approach 0v, then a far object will approach 0v and the motor voltage will approach 12v (or whatever max motor voltage ends up being).
I don't know about motor current because I haven't purchased a motor yet. I was trying to get the design more concrete before I did. I was thinking of a 12vdc scooter motor or something similar.
Voltage change doesn't need to be anything particularly quick.

This is one way to do this:

25tx7ic.jpg

Input from 5V to 0V will give output of 0V to 12V. This is my understanding.

Use a dual op-amp. If you can find a rail to rail input and output op-amp, you need only a single +12V power supply. But if you have +/-15V supply, then any dual op-amp like TLO82 etc will work.

You can do it with a single op-amp, but the resistors are going to be harder to match and op-amps are cheap. I called for 5V reference driving the resistor divider just for convience. I need a +2.5V at the +ve input of the first op-amp, however which way you want to get it is up to you.

yungman said:
This is one way to do this:

25tx7ic.jpg

Input from 5V to 0V will give output of 0V to 12V. This is my understanding.

Use a dual op-amp. If you can find a rail to rail input and output op-amp, you need only a single +12V power supply. But if you have +/-15V supply, then any dual op-amp like TLO82 etc will work.

You can do it with a single op-amp, but the resistors are going to be harder to match and op-amps are cheap. I called for 5V reference driving the resistor divider just for convience. I need a +2.5V at the +ve input of the first op-amp, however which way you want to get it is up to you.
Thank you for the detailed answer. I probably could have never gotten that far on my own.

BigSteve said:
Thank you for the detailed answer. I probably could have never gotten that far on my own.

You are welcome. If you have further question, I'll be happy to help.

1. What is EE?

EE stands for electrical engineering. It is a field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

2. What is the difference between EE and other engineering fields?

EE focuses specifically on the generation, distribution, and use of electricity, while other engineering fields may have a broader focus such as mechanical engineering, civil engineering, or chemical engineering.

3. What are some common applications of EE?

EE is used in a wide variety of industries and applications, such as power generation, telecommunications, control systems, computer hardware, and consumer electronics.

4. What skills are required to become an EE?

Some essential skills for an EE include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, math and analytical skills, attention to detail, and a solid understanding of physics and electrical principles.

5. What types of jobs are available for EEs?

EEs can work in a range of fields such as power systems, telecommunications, electronics design, computer engineering, and renewable energy. Job titles may include electrical engineer, electronics engineer, systems engineer, or design engineer.