Stopping Distance on dry pavement

In summary: I think it would be a good idea to start with a simple one like the displacement equation. Then you can work your way up to more complicated ones if you need to.In summary, if the coefficient of kinetic friction between tires and dry pavement is 0.800, the shortest distance an automobile can be stopped by locking the brakes is 29.7m/s.
quick02si
Hello everyone this is my first time in the forum and I'm actually having lot of trouble with my Physics homework. Hope someone can help me. Here's one of the problems and thanks in advanced.
If the coefficient of kinetic friction between tires and dry pavement is 0.800, what is the shortest distance in which an automobile can be stopped by locking the brakes when traveling at 29.7 ? Take the free fall acceleration to be 9.80 .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please include units with all your data whenever you post. Also show us how you have attempted the problem and where you got stuck.

I'm sorry I didn't even notice that I missed the units.
Here is the problem again:
If the coefficient of kinetic friction between tires and dry pavement is 0.800, what is the shortest distance in which an automobile can be stopped by locking the brakes when traveling at 29.7m/s? Take the free fall acceleration to be 9.80m/s^2.
On this problem I don't know how to start it off. Thats where I get stuck. I don't know how to incorporate the kinetic friction to find distance.

I think this is best done with work-energy concepts due to the lack of a value for mass of the car. What happens to the initial (kinetic) energy of the car while it skids?

I think I see what you are saying but my problem is that I haven't completely gone through that yet. That is the next chapter. The chapter that is problem comes from is Applying Neton's Laws, but I'm stuck. Thanks for your help

So they want you to do this with kinematics formulas?

Yes, that's really the only thing i know. But still can't get the problem.

You can do it if you know Newton's law [itex]F_{net}=ma[/itex]. What is the net force acting on the car during the skid in the plane of motion (ignore normal force for now)?

ok so the sum of the forces in the x direction would be the velocity-coefficient of kinetic friction=ma

I don't think so. The only force acting on the car in the plane of its motion is the frictional force. Since [itex]F_{kinetic friction}=\mu_{k}F_{N}[/itex], and [itex]F_{N}=mg[/itex], you should be able to use F=ma and this information to find the acceleration of the car. Can you take it from there?

ok so mu_{k}(mg)=ma so a=mu_{k}(g). Is this what you are trying to get me to see.

Correct. Now consider the information you have, and apply an appropriate kinematics formula to find the distance.

What is stopping distance on dry pavement?

Stopping distance on dry pavement is the distance a vehicle travels from the moment the brakes are applied until the vehicle comes to a complete stop. It is affected by factors such as the speed of the vehicle, the condition of the tires, and the condition of the road surface.

How is stopping distance on dry pavement calculated?

The stopping distance on dry pavement is calculated by adding the reaction distance, which is the distance the vehicle travels while the driver reacts to a hazard and applies the brakes, to the braking distance, which is the distance the vehicle travels while braking until it comes to a complete stop.

What factors affect stopping distance on dry pavement?

The main factors that affect stopping distance on dry pavement include the speed of the vehicle, the condition of the tires, the condition of the road surface, and the condition of the brakes. Other factors such as the weight of the vehicle and the driver's reaction time can also have an impact.

How can I reduce my stopping distance on dry pavement?

To reduce your stopping distance on dry pavement, you can ensure that your vehicle's tires are properly inflated and in good condition. You can also maintain a safe speed and keep a safe distance from other vehicles, allowing you enough time to react and brake if needed. Regular maintenance of your brakes and avoiding distractions while driving can also help reduce your stopping distance.

What is the average stopping distance on dry pavement?

The average stopping distance on dry pavement for a vehicle traveling at 60 miles per hour is approximately 300 feet. However, this can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. It is important to always maintain a safe speed and be prepared to adjust your stopping distance in different driving conditions.