Rash of deleted members this last week?

• Thread starter rcgldr
  • Start date
In summary, the recent banning of members is due to sockpuppet accounts being created by banned members in an attempt to circumvent the ban. This is not an automatic process and is done manually by the moderators. The rules against sockpuppets and multiple accounts are clearly stated and can be found on the forum's website.
Hypothetical example. Last week member "X" started appearing with a horizontal line across their name and stopped making new posts. This week they are posting and the horizontal line has disappeared. What might explain this event? Could they have asked to leave, then changed their mind? Or could they have been banned, but got restored somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
EnumaElish said:
Hypothetical example. Last week member "X" started appearing with a horizontal line across their name and stopped making new posts. This week they are posting and the horizontal line has disappeared. What might explain this event? Could they have asked to leave, then changed their mind? Or could they have been banned, but got restored somehow?

Temporary bans. First bans generally only last 10(ish) days.

jarednjames said:
Temporary bans. First bans generally only last 10(ish) days.
They are generally 10 days, but can range from 1 day to many months due to the circumstances. Timeouts in P&WA are usually 3 days as a cooling off and can be given to a member that has previously accrued no points. Repeated rule breaking or spam will result in a permanent ban.

Evo said:
They are generally 10 days, but can range from 1 day to many months due to the circumstances. Timeouts in P&WA are usually 3 days as a cooling off and can be given to a member that has previously accrued no points. Repeated rule breaking or spam will result in a permanent ban.

Hmm, didn't know that. Good to know though.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between someone with a non-bold name with a line through it and someone with a non-bold name with no line through it?

Note that Greg has just changed the way banned members are displayed - he removed the strikeout.

Non bold name means either not activated account (new member or member trying to change the email address) or banned member.

So having bold green handles are a good thing? :biggrin:

I sort of liked the strike outs though. It helped me to stay away. Now I'll be afraid to get involved with a "new member or member trying to change the email address". Very afraid.

I can see where this should create less questions about bans. :approve:

Well you can only post when it's bold, so you can't really "get involved" with them like that.

So now, when you get banned others can't tell.

Is this such a good thing really? Now it means someone could be harmlessly changing their email address and for all who don't know this it would look like they were banned. Seems a bit unfair to me.

I guess Greg could identify banned members by changing their color to Pink.

Oh never mind. I've been pink before and it wasn't pretty.

I'm PMing you a couple of GOOBF cards Greg. Have mercy on me for even thinking of such a thing.

It just doesn't seem fair someone who hasn't broken the rules is lumped with someone who has, that's all.

alt said:
It's looking rather bleak 'round here lately though.

It's sad and counterproductive IMO, to see members with strong opinions, or a strong way of expressing them, getting banned.

Maybe folk need to lighten up a little and realize that passion, diversity of opinion and interesting ways of expressing that opinion, is what makes a forum.

Don't throw the bady out with the bathwater ..

I completely, completely, and strongly agree. I sometimes feel that this forum is ruled with an iron whip; it feels like a dictatorship sort of speak. It feels harsh and unpersonalized.

I already have 4 infractions (all topics made with innocent intents), I feel like I'll get banned any minute now for another innocent mistake... Sometimes the infractions weren't just; but just a misinterpretation. But nonetheless the moderators never answer, and I've given up in contacting them.

Last edited:
Nano-Passion said:
I completely, completely, and strongly agree. I sometimes feel that this forum is ruled with an iron whip; it feels like a dictatorship sort of speak. It feels harsh and unpersonalized.

And yet, if you look at other threads, we're given praises to the way we run this forum. Very high signal-to-noise ratio.

I already have 4 infractions (all topics made with innocent intents), I feel like I'll get banned any minute now for another innocent mistake... Sometimes the infractions weren't just; but just a misinterpretation. But nonetheless the moderators never answer, and I've given up in contacting them.

Since you chose to discuss it here, they were not such innocent mistakes. One can easily notice the violation based on the PF Rules that you had agreed to. In fact, your first violation was pointed out by ANOTHER member of the forum, not by one of the Mentors. So it was THAT obvious. And then, even after that, you continue to repeat the violation!

Over the years, some of the loudest complaints we've received about how this forum is run were from cranks and crackpots who simply were annoyed that we are not giving them a platform to discuss dubious issues. Please note that you KNEW well in advance what you were getting into based upon your acceptance of the rules. Those rules were not meant as mere window decorations.

Zz.

<h2>1. What is causing the rash of deleted members this last week?</h2><p>There could be a variety of reasons for this sudden increase in deleted members. It could be due to a change in membership policies or terms of service, a security breach or hack, or simply a coincidence. Without more information, it is difficult to determine the exact cause.</p><h2>2. Is this a common occurrence for this platform?</h2><p>It depends on the platform and its user base. Some platforms may experience a higher rate of deleted members due to stricter policies or a larger number of inactive or spam accounts. Other platforms may have a lower rate of deleted members due to a more engaged and active user base.</p><h2>3. Will this affect my account or data in any way?</h2><p>If you are an active and legitimate member, it is unlikely that this rash of deleted members will have any impact on your account or data. However, if you have violated the platform's policies or terms of service, your account may also be subject to deletion.</p><h2>4. How can we prevent this from happening in the future?</h2><p>As a scientist, I cannot provide a definitive answer to this question without more information about the platform and its policies. However, some general ways to prevent deleted members could include regularly reviewing and updating membership policies, increasing security measures, and actively monitoring and removing spam or inactive accounts.</p><h2>5. Will the platform be taking any action to address this issue?</h2><p>Again, this depends on the platform and the cause of the rash of deleted members. If it is due to a security breach or hack, the platform may take steps to improve security measures. If it is due to a change in policies, the platform may communicate this to its members and provide resources for those who may have been affected. It is best to contact the platform directly for more information on any actions being taken.</p>

1. What is causing the rash of deleted members this last week?

There could be a variety of reasons for this sudden increase in deleted members. It could be due to a change in membership policies or terms of service, a security breach or hack, or simply a coincidence. Without more information, it is difficult to determine the exact cause.

2. Is this a common occurrence for this platform?

It depends on the platform and its user base. Some platforms may experience a higher rate of deleted members due to stricter policies or a larger number of inactive or spam accounts. Other platforms may have a lower rate of deleted members due to a more engaged and active user base.

3. Will this affect my account or data in any way?

If you are an active and legitimate member, it is unlikely that this rash of deleted members will have any impact on your account or data. However, if you have violated the platform's policies or terms of service, your account may also be subject to deletion.

4. How can we prevent this from happening in the future?

As a scientist, I cannot provide a definitive answer to this question without more information about the platform and its policies. However, some general ways to prevent deleted members could include regularly reviewing and updating membership policies, increasing security measures, and actively monitoring and removing spam or inactive accounts.

5. Will the platform be taking any action to address this issue?

Again, this depends on the platform and the cause of the rash of deleted members. If it is due to a security breach or hack, the platform may take steps to improve security measures. If it is due to a change in policies, the platform may communicate this to its members and provide resources for those who may have been affected. It is best to contact the platform directly for more information on any actions being taken.