Finding electric field intensity, power, current given current density

Therefore, the current along the length of the wire is -x^3y.C) To find the electric field intensity E, we can use Ohm's law in its differential form:E = J/σIn this case, we are given J = -x^2y ax + xz ay + 2xyz az and σ is the conductivity of the wire. Since we are not given a specific value for σ, we can assume it is constant and therefore we can
tessa0508

Homework Statement

Sheet of wire is biased with an electrical potential at each end of conduct current. Given current density, J, in wire:
J=-x2y ax +xz ay + 2xyz az

A)Continuity equation to prove its possible
B) current along length of wire
C) Electric field intensity E
D) voltage drop along length of wire
E) Power in wire

Homework Equations

I= [tex]\int(J) ds[/tex]
E=J / [tex]\sigma[/tex]
P=IV
V=-[tex]\int(E) dl[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A) -2xy ax + 0 + 2xy az = 0 , possible

B) = [tex]\int(2xyz)x dxdy[/tex] = [tex]\int2x^{2}yz dxdy[/tex]

= [tex]\int\frac{2x^{3}yz}{3}dy[/tex] = [tex]\frac{x^{3}y^{2}z}{3}[/tex]

C) Do I plug in the equation J or az like for B?

D) =[tex]/int[/tex](ignore this).

same question for c? if I do like B). Then:

=[tex]\int\frac{2xyz}{\sigma}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{xyz^{2}}{\sigma}[/tex]

E) P=IV = [tex]\frac{x^{4}y^{3}z^{3}}{3\sigma}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! Great question. Let's work through each part together to find the solutions.

A) To prove that the given current density is possible, we need to show that it satisfies the continuity equation. The continuity equation states that the divergence of the current density is equal to the rate of change of charge density. In mathematical notation, this can be written as:

∇⋅J = -∂ρ/∂t

In this case, we are given the current density J = -x^2y ax + xz ay + 2xyz az. To find the divergence, we can use the product rule:

∇⋅J = (-x^2y ax + xz ay + 2xyz az)⋅∂/∂x + (x^2y ax + xz ay + 2xyz az)⋅∂/∂y + (x^2y ax + xz ay + 2xyz az)⋅∂/∂z

= -x^2y⋅∂/∂x + xz⋅∂/∂y + 2xyz⋅∂/∂z

= -x^2y(-2xy) + xz(0) + 2xyz(1)

= 2x^3y^2 + 2x^3yz

Now, we need to find the rate of change of charge density. Since we are not given any information about the charge density, we can assume that it is constant and therefore the rate of change is 0. This means that the continuity equation is satisfied and the given current density is possible.

B) To find the current along the length of the wire, we can use the integral form of Ohm's law:

I = ∫J⋅ds

In this case, we are given J = -x^2y ax + xz ay + 2xyz az and ds = dxdy. Substituting these values into the integral, we get:

I = ∫(-x^2y ax + xz ay + 2xyz az)⋅dxdy

= ∫(-x^2y)(1) + (xz)(0) + (2xyz)(0)⋅dxdy

= ∫-x^2y

1. How is electric field intensity measured?

The electric field intensity is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). It can be measured using a device called an electric field meter, which detects the strength of the electric field in a given area.

2. What is the formula for finding electric field intensity?

The formula for electric field intensity is E = σ/ε, where E is the electric field intensity, σ is the current density, and ε is the permittivity of the material. This formula can be used to calculate the electric field intensity at a specific point in space.

3. How is current density related to electric field intensity?

Current density and electric field intensity are directly proportional. This means that as the current density increases, the electric field intensity also increases. The relationship between the two can be described by the formula E = σ/ε.

4. How do I calculate power given current density and electric field intensity?

The formula for power is P = E x J, where P is power, E is electric field intensity, and J is current density. This formula can be used to calculate the power in a given circuit or system.

5. What is the relationship between current density and current?

Current density is a measure of the amount of current flowing through a unit area. The relationship between current density and current is that the current is equal to the current density multiplied by the cross-sectional area. Therefore, as the current density increases, the current also increases.